Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abarham Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2009, 02:07 PM
    No Sound in Windows Media Player When Playing DVD
    When playing a commercial DVD in WMP, no sound will play. There is audio when using other programs like iTunes, PowerDVD, etc.

I saw suggestion from CurlyBen to use right codec, but how?
    PGMData Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2009, 03:35 PM
    Plug-ins for Windows Media Player

Here is the URL for the correct codec from Microsoft, this is not a free codec, and I have seen free codecs but none that work as well as external players. WMP was not really designed to play DVD's I use WinDVD for playback. Most DVD players or computers with a DVD player come with Nero, WinDVD, Cyberlink DVD or some other such product for DVD playback. There are also a ton of free players available at:
    Free Software Downloads and Reviews - Download.com

Hope that help. :)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2009, 03:38 PM
    I'm a big fan of VLC media player - Open Source Multimedia Framework and Player
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2009, 04:36 PM

You need a dvd decoder as mentioned but,
    There isn't a standalone DVD decoder that is free

The links above will bring you to the plugin page for some decoders, you will see how much each is when you click on them

As also mentioned, VLC would be way to go here
    abarham Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2009, 12:11 AM

Thank you, thank you, and thank you three!
    Very helpful info, although I seemed to solve the problem by doing some of the "optional" (not "critical") Windows Updates. I will try your various suggestions and REALLY appreciate the advice!

I would rate all these replies highly, but cannot find any "Rating Button" on my page..?
    A

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When I tried to play a tmp files with window media player, it says"Windows Media Play [ 3 Answers ]

When I tried to play a tmp files with window media player, it says"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file." What can I do to play this file?

Windows media player 11 not playing a video error message C00D11B1 [ 4 Answers ]

I copied some videos we made from my friends computer, I'm pretty sure he was using windows vista, I have media player 11, I receive an error message C00D11B1, when trying to play them, web help page came up and I went to it and couldn't find anything to help me. What codec do I have install...

Windows media player [ 1 Answers ]

How do I import a folder into windows media player

Windows media player won't play video, only sound. [ 1 Answers ]

How can I fix media player to play video and sound, how do you know which codec is correct

Windows Media Player [ 6 Answers ]

Currently have Media Player 6.4 What is the safest one to upgrade to for a PC with Win98 second edition on it? Also what is best site (without adware, spyware, etc included with your download) to obtain the update from?

View more questions Search