Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Patricia Mims Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2009, 01:08 PM
    Setting up an estate for a deceased mother
    How do I go about setting up an estate for a deceased mother who had no living will, or anything in legal terms naming me the beneficiary of her estate?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 3, 2009, 01:13 PM

First off you get an attorney to sort it all out with you. That is the safest approach. The money you spend on a good attorney will be well spent in the long run.

Kindest regards

Ms tickle
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 3, 2009, 01:35 PM

You have to go to probate court to have yourself appointed executor. Then take that documentation to the a bank to setup an estate account from which you can depost assets of the estate and write checks.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 3, 2009, 01:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    You have to go to probate court to have yourself appointed executor. Then take that documentation to the a bank to setup an estate account from which you can depost assets of the estate and write checks.
    So you don't think hiring an attorney is the best option. First she has to figure out 'probate court' on her own, then take it all the court office 'on her own'. This is after her mom died when just about anything is not as clear as you point it out to be.

I still say she should hire an attorney to get through all of that, which I know one has to do to set up an estate with no will or executor/executrix. And I still say the money she puts out so she can sleep at night is well worth it in this situation.

Tick
    Hot Corn Bread Posts: 70, Reputation: 3

Jun 3, 2009, 05:03 PM
    You can't "set up an estate". What ever your mother owned or owed at her dimise is her estate.
    My County is very helpful in this process. A lawyer is not needed unless there are other siblings that can inherit.

Work with and communicate with all possible inheritors early to prevent conflicts that may involve hiring lawyers. You have to pay your lawyers and they can leave you and all with zilch and a large debt too
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 05:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    so you dont think hiring an attorney is the best option. First she has to figure out 'probate court' on her own, then take it all the court office 'on her own'. This is after her mom died when just about anything is not as clear as you point it out to be.

I still say she should hire an attorney to get through all of that, which I know one has to do to set up an estate with no will or executor/executrix. And I still say the money she puts out so she can sleep at night is well worth it in this situation.

tick

I'm walking the middle on this one - I certainly would make an appointment with Probate Court, see what's involved, pick up the forms. If it's overwhelming, then hire an Attorney.

Without more info, including the size of the estate, there is no way of knowing if OP can do this alone or needs an Attorney.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 3, 2009, 05:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    so you dont think hiring an attorney is the best option. First she has to figure out 'probate court' on her own, then take it all the court office 'on her own'. This is after her mom died when just about anything is not as clear as you point it out to be.

tick
    I didn't say she shouldn't hire an attorney. But I don't know if one is absolutely necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I'm walking the middle on this one - I certainly would make an appointment with Probate Court, see what's involved, pick up the forms. If it's overwhelming, then hire an Attorney.

Without more info, including the size of the estate, there is no way of knowing if OP can do this alone or needs an Attorney.
    This is what I was thinking. If the estate is small and the OP the only heir, then she may be able to get by without an attorney. If someone dies intestate, the odds are that the estate is small and simple and may not require an attorney.
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 06:25 PM
    [QUOTE=SailorMark agrees: balancer. Inappropriate use of comment. The opinion to hire a lawyer or not hire a lawyer is one of personal preference and not based on fact[/QUOTE]

This is not the personal preference board. It's a legal advice board. Consistent advice that Attorneys are money grabbing incompetents does no one any good.

The "fact" about hiring an Attorney depends on the circumstances.

Am I surprised that you disagreed with me? Of course not. It's called revenge reddie.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 3, 2009, 07:20 PM

So much depends, since the person used the term "living will" which is for medical care while still alive, it scares me that they have no idea of any legal issues.

But yes, are there other brothers and sisters envolved, are there a lot of debts, is there a lot of money.

If the "estate" is a 85 chev and 400 dollars in the bank, it really does not matter.

In GA, it costs 200 in court fees to start and be named over the estate.

There will be legal issues as to posting notice for any creditors.
    Opening up an estate bank account and more. I don't mean any disrespect but a person who thinks a living will has to do with an estate, maybe should not be trying to do this
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2009, 08:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    So much depends, since the person used the term "living will" which is for medical care while still alive, it scares me that they have no idea of any legal issues.

But yes, are there other brothers and sisters envolved, are there alot of debts, is there alot of money.

If the "estate" is a 85 chev and 400 dollars in the bank, it really does not matter.

In GA, it costs 200 in court fees to start and be named over the estate.

There will be legal issues as to posting notice for any creditors.
    Opening up an estate bank account and more. I don't mean any disrespect but a person who thinks a living will has to do with an estate, maybe should not be trying to do this

Good catch on the living will - yes, it would appear OP should run this past an Attorney. It is always possible that Probate Court will be of assistance but that depends on the Court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Setting Up an Estate Account [ 1 Answers ]

My mother died in March and I have received checks totaling approx. $600. Made payable to "The Estate of Mary Smith" and my bank said I need to set up an estate account to cash them. She had no will or other assets and only my brother and I as heirs. What do I need to set up an estate account? ...

Setting up an estate after death of mother [ 1 Answers ]

My mother recently passed away and did not leave an estate. My question is: can one be set up with no assets in it for the purpose of collecting a survivor benefit? The benefit will only be paid to a spouse(none), a child under 25(both children are over 40) or the estate(one does not exsist).

Bank Account for Estate of deceased [ 1 Answers ]

I am co-executor of the will of my late husband and it may become necessary to open a bank account for the estate. What do I need to do? Thanks

View more questions Search