Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    standur Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2006, 09:45 AM
    Maintenance of A/C
    I live in a townhouse in SW Houston. I have 2 A/C units; 1.5 tons each. They are both 1996 vintage.

I would like advice on reputable A/C technician in Houston to inspect my units and perform and required maintenance.

Regards, Stan
    rickdb1 Posts: 185, Reputation: 15

Oct 8, 2006, 06:01 PM
    Word of mouth is the best way to find someone reliable, Stan. Ask family, friends or neighbors who they use...
    standur Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2006, 09:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickdb1
    Word of mouth is the best way to find someone reliable, Stan. Ask family, friends or neighbors who they use...
    Rick

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I’m new on this board, but what I’ve seen so far is impressive. I’m just trying to set the stage for servicing my A/Cs. I live and work in the Persian Gulf but keep a townhouse in Houston rigged and ready. We bought it in June 2001 and the day we moved in the downstairs unit quit (turned out that evaporator coils were completely corroded). We replaced the interior downstairs unit and thermostat. A couple of weeks later, we replaced the upstairs unit as well. On our return for the summer holidays in 2004, I had the outside A/C units serviced and charged with Freon. The HVAC service man was honest and charged a reasonable price. However, I can’t recall his name or affiliation. He taught me how to clean the condenser fins with a garden hose. I’ve done it myself the past couple of summers. Now, I’m trying to plan ahead and line up a reputable service man for next summer. I’ll keep thinking about and watching your board from time to time. Again, I’ve been impressed with quality of questions and answers.

Incidentally, my outside units are Rheem 1.5 tons. The plate indicates that they are 1996 vintage. I doubt that the contactors have ever been replaced or the compressor motors oiled. Based on the tips received here, I’ll ask the next maintenance man to check these. I’ll also ask him to check the voltage going to the units.

Regards, Stan from Doha

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

93 Honda Del Sol maintenance 90,000 [ 3 Answers ]

Honda Del sol 93 - maintenance 90,000 Please let me know what items are necessary: 1. replace timing belt, they also want to replace water pump and add new drive belts - do I need to do all 3? (fee 550) 2. Valve clearance - I have heard that you can forget this unless you hear a rattle or...

Windows xp maintenance [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to know which maintenance programs should be run periodically to keep Windows XP running smoothly. Thank You, Frank S

Air Conditioning Maintenance [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Forum, How do I get to remove fine cement dust, caked on evaporator coil, off the coils - without damagingthe fins - in order to improve heat exchange. My air conditioner is located in a cement production environment. During its operation, cement dust settles on the coils and starts to...

Trespassing and maintenance [ 8 Answers ]

Since some laws are different depending on where you live, I'll start by saying that I currently live in Baltimore County, MD. My question is if a maintenance worker lets himself into my apartment to find out if I'm home because he saw someone knocking on my door, is this considered trespassing? ...

Maintenance Woes [ 2 Answers ]

For the past two weeks I have turned in both written and verbal maintenance requests for two different problems. Problem 1: the kitchen sink will take 3 days for it to drain half a sinkfull of water, and even then, as one side drains, more comes back into the other side Problem 2: ...

View more questions Search