Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robertsigrist Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2009, 08:23 AM
    How can I garnish wages to collect a judgment?
    I won a small claims judgment, but do not know how to collect on the judgment. The othe party did not even show for court. I have his SSN and have been able to get a current address. Any help is appreciated.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 08:38 AM

What state are you in? Some states require the debtor to complete a financial disclosure statement.

You need to find out where the debtor is employed and then file for garnishment. Or, if you know where they bank, you can file to have their account frozen.
    robertsigrist Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2009, 09:53 AM

I am in Missouri. I have a SSN for the person, but not current banking or employment. He has "several" names in the database. Frustrating :-) Thanks for any help.
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 10:03 AM

One option is to hire someone to follow them around, find out where they work. Or you could do it yourself.
    Psychic1 Posts: 17, Reputation: -2

Jun 3, 2009, 10:28 AM

You can always turn it into the sheriff in the county where you live, that's how they found me...
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychic1 View Post
    you can always turn it into the sheriff in the county where you live, that's how they found me..............
    ... what? Where are you located? I haven't heard of the sheriff getting involved in Small Claims in any state.

Jun 3, 2009, 10:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    ...what? Where are you located? I haven't heard of the sheriff getting involved in Small Claims in any state.
    Let me correct that, after they found me through my social security number, they turned it in to the sherrifs office to enforce it and garnish my paycheck
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 11:01 AM

Just because you have his SSN doesn't mean you are allowed access to his SSN records to find out where he is employed. I would take the previous advice and hire a PI or do the PI work yourself.

If I lived in MI, I would do it for you... PI work is always so much fun
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 12:08 PM
    let me correct that, after they found me through my social security number, they turned it in to the sherrifs office to enforce it and garnish my paycheck

Now I'd like to know how an independent party, other than a LPI, was able to get employment info from your SS number.
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 12:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJizzle View Post
    Just because you have his SSN doesnt mean you are allowed access to his SSN records to find out where he is employed. I would take the previous advice and hire a PI or do the PI work yourself.

If I lived in MI, I would do it for you... PI work is always so much fun

Are you licensed? You appear to have PI experience - ?

Jun 3, 2009, 12:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Now I'd like to know how an independent party, other than a LPI, was able to get employment info from your SS number.
    THE INTERNET, also a licensed PI is NOT the only one who can get data on someone, bounty hunters or I should say Bail Enforcement Agents, Bailbondsmen do it all the time, not to mention other sources, now adays if you basically have a little info on someone and pay the right website, you'd be surprised at the amount of data that is out there on us all. Just do a ZABA SEARCH, its easy and free, and I was shocked at the info it had on me and others I know... but it is what it is,
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 12:23 PM
    THE INTERNET, also a licensed PI is NOT the only one who can get data on someone, bounty hunters or i should say Bail Enforcement Agents, Bailbondsmen do it all the time, not to mention other sources, now adays if you basically have a little info on someone and pay the right website, you'd be surprised at the amount of data that is out there on us all. Just do a ZABA SEARCH, its easy and free, and i was shocked at the info it had on me and others i know.....but it is what it is,

Please post where SS numbers are available on line. Bounty hunters, bail enforcement agents, they get information from the Police. They don't conduct their own searches.

If you are correct I am spending a lot of money foolishly and will begin to search on line.

Anyway - please post the site where SS numbers are located.

Jun 3, 2009, 12:35 PM
    maybe they hired one, but with the advent of the internet anyone can pay a certain website to find info on some anybody basically. So while a Licensed PI may be the 100% legal way to do it, does not mean that's its NOT being done through using alternative methods. Here's an example do a ZABA SEARCH on your name and see what pops up, you'll be surprised and its free, I know I never authorized anyone to put all my past addresses up on the website, but it's there...
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 12:37 PM
    maybe they hired one, but with the advent of the internet anyone can pay a certain website to find info on some anybody basically. So while a Licensed PI may be the 100% legal way to do it, does not mean thats its NOT being done thru using alternative methods. Here's an example do a ZABA SEARCH on your name and see what pops up, you'll be surprised and its free, i know i never authorized anyone to put all my past addresses up on the website, but its there.............
    That's your past address, NOT your social security number. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Jun 3, 2009, 12:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by judykaytee View Post
    please post where ss numbers are available on line. Bounty hunters, bail enforcement agents, they get information from the police. They don't conduct their own searches.

If you are correct i am spending a lot of money foolishly and will begin to search on line.

Anyway - please post the site where ss numbers are located.
    I took the course and they do not get their data from the police, they are not a policing agency. That's why anyone can become a bail enforcement agent, but you can't become a pi unless you work under a licensed pi for x number of hours, while I can't remember exactley all that I was taught in the class, because it was 15 years ago and I decided it wasn't for me, however I do remember that they never taught us anything about dealing with the police to find out data on any fugitive, instead they have their own ways of looking up reverse addresses, and many more tricks and ways of finding out info, I'm just saying where there are wills there are ways... Its not unheard of or impossible to find out one ss# it may cost a bit of money to obtain it whether legally or illegally, but it can be done, that's all I'm saying

[quote=this8384;1774819]That's your past address, NOT your social security number. You're comparing apples and oranges.[
    that's not the point, if you researched further into that website, the info is out there on everyone if you know where to look

my point is that the info on a lot of people is out there, if you just know where to look, I'm not saying its right , I'm just saying its NOT impossible, nothings secured anymore.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 3, 2009, 12:48 PM

First to the OP,
    You have come up against the Catch 22 of judgements. Often getting the judgement is easy, its collecting that is the hard part. You can hire a PI or a Collection agency to try and find where they work or bank, but I suspect that this person has made themselves judgement proof. That probably why they didn't bother to show up since they knew they would lose. They eiother have no assets or work off the books or something like that. If you explain what you sued about we might have more ideas.

To Psychic,

Yes there is a lot of info of info on the WEB, but not that much available legally for free.

I just did a ZABA and the only info it had on me was month and year of birth, and my current address and phone number. Not hard to find. When I clicked on more info, I got a listing of the number of addresses I've allegedly had (incorrect, btw) and it did list my a few relations. Again, not a lot of info. They try to intice you to pay for more detail.

One of the points is you have no idea how the holder of the judgement against you found your employer. They may have used a variety of sources. Which they, most likely paid something for.

Jun 3, 2009, 01:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    First to the OP,
    You have come up against the Catch 22 of judgements. Often getting the judgement is easy, its collecting that is the hard part. You can hire a PI or a Collection agency to try and find where they work or bank, but I suspect that this person has made themselves judgement proof. That probably why they didn't bother to show up since they knew they would lose. They eiother have no assets or work off the books or something like that. If you explain what you sued about we might have more ideas.

To Psychic,

Yes there is a lot of info of info on the WEB, but not that much available legally for free.

I just did a ZABA and the only info it had on me was month and year of birth, and my current address and phone number. Not hard to find. When I clicked on more info, I got a listing of the number of addresses I've allegedly had (incorrect, btw) and it did list my a few relations. Again, not a lot of info. They try to intice you to pay for more detail.

One of the points is you have no idea how the holder of the judgement against you found your employer. They may have used a variety of sources. whihc they, most likely paid something for.
    I agree, NOT for free no, but once you go into PAYING for the info, whether its through websites/ personal connections/etc. then it becomes a different ball of wax, I'm just saying that it could be done, and NOT just by a PI, like JUDY KAY TEE seems to think
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 01:12 PM
    i took the course and they do not get their data from the police, they are not a policing agency. Thats why anyone can become a bail enforcement agent, but you can't become a pi unless you work under a licensed pi for x number of hours, while i can't remember exactley all that i was taught in the class, because it was 15 years ago and i decided it wasnt for me, however i do remember that they never taught us anything about dealing with the police to find out data on any fugitive, instead they have their own ways of looking up reverse addresses, and many more tricks and ways of finding out info, im just saying where there are wills there are ways... Its not unheard of or impossible to find out one ss# it may cost a bit of money to obtain it whether legally or illegally, but it can be done, thats all im saying

my point is that the info on alot of people is out there, if you just know where to look, im not saying its right , im just saying its NOT impossible, nothings secured anymore.

Where do they get their information if not from Police record? Apparently the number of years you have to "work under a LPI" is not the only thing you forgot. And it's not just "work under a LPI" - it's conducted INVESTIGATONS under a LPI, at least in NY.

And I am not aware of ANY LPI who has faith in what is posted on the Internet. You want an example? My age is wrong, my date of birth is wrong, my husband's middle initial is wrong. Yes, I know all about Zabba search.

I guarantee if I post a name you cannot locate the SS number on line or from other than a paid source or without State credentials.

What course did you take, by the way? I'm not aware of any course which leads to licensing of PI's and that's been an argument in the State of NY for quite some time..

Jun 3, 2009, 01:43 PM
    Where do they get their information if not from Police record? Apparently the number of years you have to "work under a LPI" is not the only thing you forgot. And it's not just "work under a LPI" - it's conducted INVESTIGATONS under a LPI, at least in NY.

And I am not aware of ANY LPI who has faith in what is posted on the Internet. You want an example? My age is wrong, my date of birth is wrong, my husband's middle initial is wrong. Yes, I know all about Zabba search.

I guarantee if I post a name you cannot locate the SS number on line or from other than a paid source or without State credentials.

What course did you take, by the way? I'm not aware of any course which leads to licensing of PI's and that's been an argument in the State of NY for quite some time..
    obviously I didn't take the course in NY, how many LPI's in NY do you know to say what they would or would not trust, if you are going on your experiences, your experiences does not in any way shape of form means that those ARE THE ONLY EXPERIENCES, and I wasn't talking about a course to license PI's. I was talking about a bail enforcement course which I took in Pennsylvania. Which was not my point, my point was a LPI is NOT the only way you can find out info on someone, information can be obtained NUMEROUS WAYS. Your experience may be to hire a PI and mine may be asking a friend of mine for the info. Just because its different from what you know does not mean the person is wrong
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 01:47 PM
    obviously i didnt take the course in NY, how many LPI's in NY do you know to say what they would or would not trust, if you are going on your experiences, your experiences does not in any way shape of form means that those ARE THE ONLY EXPERIENCES, and i wasnt talking about a course to license PI's. i was talking about a bail enforcement course which i took in pennsylvania. Which was not my point, my point was a LPI is NOT the only way you can find out info on someone, information can be obtained NUMEROUS WAYS. Your experience may be to hire a PI and mine may be asking a friend of mine for the info. Just because its different from what you know does not mean the person is wrong
    When you state that you can pay to find out someone's SSN by Internet search, then yes, you are wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I garnish his wages [ 5 Answers ]

I want to know if I can garnish a persons wages. I paid a lot of bills and co signed for him and now he won't pay. How do I make him pay me back ? He won't make payments or answer my calls. What can I do ?

Who can garnish your wages? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband had a credit card that he got behind on when he was furloughed from his job for almost 2 yrs. With interest and late fees, it got to 15,000.00. The credit company was going to to settle for around 3000.00 because my husband had been a customer (credit cardholder) for many years but it...

Have judgement against tenant. How do I garnish wages to collect? [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Atlanta, GA. I won judgement against a tenant 2 weeks ago (in Fulton County Magistrate Court) for non-payment of rent. He left no forwarding address and I don't know where he works. How do I go about garnishing his wages to collect? Any suggestions for wage garnishment or alternative...

Garnish wages [ 2 Answers ]

Can a credit card company card companies garnish wages.

The right to garnish wages [ 6 Answers ]

I have a judgement against me from a previous landlord, when I was first contacted by the collections agency who now holds the account 8 months ago I responded with a willingness to work out a payment plan. I never heard back from the agency until today 8 months later and they are demanding that...

View more questions Search