Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    killer5000 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2009, 11:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    What will happen if you don't get the answers to the questions that you've posted? You do mention that they're bonus questions.

How has the rest of your work in that class been?

Thanks!
    My first 2 qrtrs I got F's even though I was struggling to get a grasp on the subjects passing through. The school placed me in this class on accident and me and my family asked for me to be placed in an easier class since I had troubles with algebra 2 (I only got a low C for the year) but the school said I would be fine in this class and refused to move me. In order for the school to save their butts they have given me this extra credit work to help me pass my senior year, if I do not get this extra credit work done I will most likely fail. The problem arises here is how am I supposed to do extra credit work that I do not know how to do. This is the reason I have resorted to asking. I have been searching the internet for the formulas and try to use them but the answers make no sense to me and just don't seem to fit right. This is why I have asked for the help on here.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2009, 11:45 PM

Do you think that it would be okay for you to ask that your deadline for getting them done be extended to maybe the following week?

I know that we have some brilliant persons on this site who are great with math. However, most of them aren't logged-on right now, and may in fact, be asleep.

Thanks!
    killer5000 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2009, 11:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Do you think that it would be okay for you to ask that your deadline for getting them done be extended to maybe the following week?

I know that we have some brilliant persons on this site who are great with math. However, most of them aren't logged-on right now, and may in fact, be asleep.

Thanks!
    I was going to try to ask for a few extra days maybe even just until Friday. Thanks for letting me know that there are some people on here willing to help :) gives me some hope.

I'm headed to bed though I have been trying to figure this stuff out all night.

Thanks again.
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2009, 11:59 PM

Okay. Yes there are people here who can help you!

Galactus, Capuchin and Perito would probably be the best ones to approach with your issues as to how to approach answering the problems.

Thanks!
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 05:34 AM
    Verify tanx = secx/cscx
    The general way to solve this type of problem is to go back to the definition of tangent, secant, cosecant, etc. Convert the values into their equivalents involving only sin and cosine using recognized trigonometric identities:

. This comes from the definition of sine, cosine, and tangent on a unit circle.

(definition of secant)

(definition of cosecant)

Plug the three equations into the first equation.

Now, you try the others, one at a time. I'll be around to help you out when you post what you think is the answer.

Verify tan(pi - A) = -tan(A)
    Start with a unit circle (a circle centered on the origin of a Cartesian coordinate system Draw an angle from the origin corresponding to the angle, A. Draw another corresponding to pi-A. With the angles, drop a perpendicular line to the X-axis forming a triangle. Using the definition of the tangent, you can solve the problem.

Use synthetic Division to find the remainder of (x^4 - 3x^2 + 2x - 1)/(x - 1)
    This is just like long division you did in the fourth grade.

cotx + tanx all over sec^2x
    A: cotx
    B: sinx
    C: cosx
    D: tanx
    Do this just like the first problem = substitute cot=cos/sin and tan=sin/cos and sec = 1/cos

State the amplitude, period, phase shift, and vertical shift for y = 3sin(x/4 + pi/2) - 2
    a. Remember that sin is periodic. It goes from +1 to -1. The amplitude is always 1 -- unless you multiply it by something.
    b. Sin(x) goes from 0 at x=0 to 1 at x=π/2 (π=pi) to 0 at x=π to -1 at x=3π/2 back to zero. Its natural period (peak-to-peak) is 2π. You can vary the period only by multiplying or dividing whatever is inside the sin(x) parentheses.
    c. A phase shift is whatever moves the graph from what I stated in b.
    d. The vertical shift is anything that moves the entire graph up or down from what I stated in b.

Given (triangle)ABC and A = 36(degrees), B = 101(degrees), and b = 42. Solve for C, a, and c.
    This is very simple trigonometry. Take a piece of graph paper and construct a triangle according to what was specified. Pick an arbitrary angle for A (say 30 degrees) just so you can visualize the problem. Use the definitions of the sine, cosine, and tangent functions of the angles to solve the triangle.

Solve the following system of equations 2x + 3y = -7 & x - y = 4.

Solve the following system of equations x - 2y + z = 15 & 2x + 3y - 3z = 1 & 4x + 10y - 5z = -3.
    In the first, solve one of the two equations for x in terms of y. Put that value for x in the other equation. Solve for y. Take the value you now have for y and put it in either one of the equations to solve for x.

In the second, the procedure is similar except that you have three equations and three unknowns.

What is the secant of -180(degrees).
    Secant is the inverse of the cosine: Sec = 1/Cos. Use your calculator.

Does cosx + cosx * tan^2x = secx? True or False.
    This is solved exactly the same way as the first problem in this list.

Find the value of k so that the remainder of (x^3 - 3x^2 + kx - 6)/(x + 2) = 0.
    A: k = -11
    B: k = 11
    C: k = 6
    D: k = -13
    Do synthetic division and you'll have an expression in "k" as the remainder. Solve the equation for k.

Given f(x) = 3x^2 + 2x -2 and g(x) = 4x + 1. Find f/g.
    Just divide one equation by the other (synthetic division).

Find the x & y intercepts of the equation y = 2/5x -2.
    A line in its standard form is Y=mX+b where m is the slope and b is the Y-intercept. You simply figure out in your head what "m" is and what "b" is. If your equation is not in the standard form (yours is), you manipulate using algebra it until it is in the standard form.
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 02:23 PM

See now, killer5000! Just the right person has come along to help you!
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2009, 01:27 AM

Quite personally, me just being me, I'd want to report this to the superintendent or even higher, assuming this is all the truth. If you're doing that poorly in a class, how does a school tell you that you're fine? It sounds like they just didn't want to deal with the problem.

Furthermore, I don't understand why trig should be required for graduation?? That's a typical college-prep course, but shouldn't be required to graduate. (It would be a silly requirement cause a goodly number of people would never graduate.)

So I'd have to say I really don't get that at all. And I'd be finding someone to complain to. But that's me, cause I have a tendency not to let others do things to me without making an attempt to do something about it.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2009, 04:43 AM
    Furthermore, I don't understand why trig should be required for graduation?? That's a typical college-prep course, but shouldn't be required to graduate. (It would be a silly requirement cause a goodly number of people would never graduate.)
    Interesting because I've always wondered why trigonometry isn't required for graduation.

There's a myth about math -- that it's hard. And many youth fall into the trap of thinking it's hard and refuse to learn it. Many students say, "Why should I learn this. I'm never going to use it." My thought response is, "You probably won't ever use it because you won't learn it. But if you did learn it, you would use it."
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2009, 08:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Perito View Post
    Interesting because I've always wondered why trigonometry isn't required for graduation.

There's a myth about math -- that it's hard. And many youth fall into the trap of thinking it's hard and refuse to learn it. Many students say, "Why should I learn this. I'm never going to use it." My thought response is, "You probably won't ever use it because you won't learn it. But if you did learn it, you would use it."
    Ah! I've been wondering why! I know you'll use it in civil and mechanical engineering, carpenter perhaps, architect... but what if one doesn't have such a job? Say... doctor, dentist, electrical engineer...
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2009, 08:49 AM

Doctor or Dentist? I'm not sure. Electrical Engineer (I've done that job) sometimes. But I think it's useful in everyday life.

I use it when I'm doing woodworking, when I'm trying to figure out how to lay out a deck or what dimensions something should take in a yard. I've used trig when I was a scoutmaster and tried to teach kids how to use a compass or how to figure out how high a tree or a mountain is. On the other hand, I've seen other scoutmasters try to find something in a book that will tell them a formula about how to lay something out. I've met carpenters who know the "3,4,5" rule and that something's square if the diagonals are the same and all edges are the same length. That's all they can handle. I think it's a shame.

In addition, Trigonometry is probably the easiest of all of the mathematical subjects from Algebra on.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2009, 09:00 AM

Ok, those stuff... lol! Thanks for your answer! Yup... seems also a shame to me for those carpenters, lol. Just a week ago, in an assessment, I overestimated a trig identity and took me so much time that I let it undone and lost easy marks... sigh. When I got home, I saw it was so easy grrr... I was looking for something to hard and got the problem even worse. That'll teach me lol. :p
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2009, 07:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Perito View Post

Here's another myth - people who are good at math think it shouldn't be hard for anyone else.

I agree with you up to a very limited point. Math, in general, is actually made a lot harder because of the way it is taught, which is mostly plug and chug instead of learning what anything means and then how to apply it. (e.g. in accounting the number of people who can't do earnings per share when they just got done learning dividends per share or cost per unit or any other a per b, because they don't get that the math behind it is exactly the same. You could ask me dikesl's per wooisjdf's and I could still do it. But most people only get plug n chug and they memorize how to do that one thing.)

However, that's only to an extent, because everyone can't be good at math, just like everyone isn't good at every subject in the world. Probably most people could be better at it, but not necessarily good at it, or even good enough to manage to pass it. And that trig is the easiest math from "algebra on" is nothing but an opinion. I much prefer algebra and never liked trig. I got like a B in it, but always hated it.

And I did learn it. And I don't use it. So don't say "if you did learn it, you would use it." I just proved you wrong. I'm sure there are things I could use it for, but not often enough to actually remember it. I hated it, so I promptly forgot it when the class was over.

School is a good basic education. It should include math. I don't see a reason it should include something like trig. I took 2 years of algebra, trig, analytic geometry and some beginning calculus. I was college prep (and had an engineer for a father) - but none of those were required to graduate. And I went to a pretty good school system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Old dog poops and pees a lot a lot a lot [ 4 Answers ]

I just rescued a very old dalmatian from my neighbors she has tumors all over Her body and she is very thin . I started her on good food. I feed her a cup in a half a day And water is always available. She poops so much 5 times a day? I keep my dogs in the sun room at night when we get up there...

Sign on Bonus Taxrepay & deducting yearly bonus from my sign on [ 1 Answers ]

I got a $5,000 sign on bonus & left the company under 1 year. They held back my $3,033 yearly bonus to deduct it from what I owed them in sign on. BUT they took taxes out of the $3033 bonus before deducting it from what I need to pay back. So they are subtracting $1817 from $5,000, saying I...

17 year old male, a lot of questions I need answered. [ 6 Answers ]

Wow, I've thought for a while how I would do this and I am really quite nervous discussing this openly for the first time... Well, first of all, penis size.. Im around 15cm erect, and from what I've heard this is quite small.. I think I've practically gone through puberty, I've had a very deep...

Pay down the points? [ 5 Answers ]

What does it mean if a realtor offers to pay down the points?

Max and min points [ 1 Answers ]

How do you find the maximum and the minimum point of a qudratic eqaution?:D

View more questions Search