Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kissbox Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2006, 09:56 PM
    Roommate not paying rent, but leaving in 3 weeks.
    My roommate is moving out oct 26, 2006 - he is not on the lease, I am, and we have a verbal agreement.. he has been OK up to this point - last month he paid 1/2 his rent and this month he has still not paid. What I am asking is, if he does not pay this months rent, and he is out in 3 weeks anyway, can I evict him as a roommate under Ohio law? (can I give him a 3, 5 day notice of some sorts?) If not and he doesn't pay, do I have a standing in common pleas court for what he owes me without a written agreement? Thank you.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2006, 04:56 AM
    Hello kiss:

He'll be gone before the eviction takes place. Yes, verbal agreements are binding (if you can prove it), and in this instance, I think you can.

excon
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2006, 08:58 AM
    If he's moving out on Oct.. 26 anyhow I'd just wait it out rather than get caught up in the legal technicalities concerning eviction. If he doesn't pay you can sue him in small claims court for a prorated amount of his 1/2 share of the rent. Legally, since it's your name on the lease, you're the one ultimately responsible for paying the rent, not your roommate. However, since he lived there and verbally agreed to pay 1/2 the rent you may get a judge to order a judgement in your favor.
    kissbox Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2006, 11:50 AM
    That is what I thought, but just wasn't sure.. this is the first time (and last time) I've ever had a roommate that wasn't on the lease with me. Thanks for the info.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evicting Adult Child not paying Rent [ 9 Answers ]

How can I throw an adult child who will not follow rules of house and just want to waste his life away?

Roommate vs. Roommate evicitions ? [ 13 Answers ]

I am on a lease to rent a room. I found another person to rent the other room. I have lived at this house for 3 years. He has lived here for two months. I want him out because he is a nuisance. My rights as a tenant does not specifically state me as a Principle Tenant, but I've been here the...

Help roommate moved out and refuses to pay rent [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I are on a lease with someone in NC. The rent is $800. My boyfriend actually pays rent somewhere else but basically lives with me. Before the "someone" moved in I informed them that my boyfriend basically lives with me. She said okay and agreed to paying half the rent. She...

X renigging on paying [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter's father ( my X) committed to a place for her wedding and all the trimmings,now he is renigging on paying all the expenses for what he promised her. HE HAS THE MONEY! He says he is going to send a certain amount of money( not nearly enough) to her sister and expects her to pay the...

Sister-in-law Not Paying Rent [ 10 Answers ]

Help! My sister-in-law rents from us at our salon and she is behind two months in rent. When she started renting from us about 1 year ago, she agreed to pay rent. She only works one day a week and we gave her the first 2 months rent free to help her get on her feet. When we asked for rent on...

View more questions Search