Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikeswiz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2009, 06:53 PM
    Soldering vs thread on for a new shower manifold
    I am installing a brand new shower with a Delta manifold. It has threads for each connection (hot, cold, shower and tub). 1/2 copper also fits into the connections perfectly.

I have already used this same configuration on my other show that I installed, I soldered in the copper pipe. Yes it took a while to get the brass hot enough, but I have not had any leaks for over six months.

I went to the local home depot about getting a plug for this installation, and they told be that I should not have soldered in my copper connections since it was threaded. They said I should have used the screw on connection then solder to that copper fitting.

Can anyone give me any information on the pros and cons of both ways?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2009, 07:19 PM

The sweat fitting are better for me because it eliminates one solder joint and one threaded joint on each side of the body. But be sure that you take the valve apart and take out all of the parts that heat could damage or distort.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 2, 2009, 07:49 PM

Screw on fitting (female adpator) is to make the job more home owner friendly. Soldering is best but requires a bit of skill and some disassembly as Letmetellu points out. A properly taped and tighten adpator should be fine but I sweat whenever I can.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 3, 2009, 04:51 AM
    Hi Mike...

Delta and may other manufacturers are making valves today that can have either pre-soldered threaded female adpaters connected to the male threads of the valve OR can have copper pipe soldered directly into the threaded connection as you indicate you did.

You will have no issue with this the way you have done it! As presented, you did exactly what the manufacturer wanted you to do!

Good luck...

MARK
    mikeswiz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2009, 05:57 AM

THanks guys!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 3, 2009, 06:02 AM
    Glad to help!
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 3, 2009, 06:13 AM

I am a bit late but... Basically, manufacturers give you both options. There is nothing wrong with either one of them. Some prefer to solder, some prefer to screw.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 3, 2009, 06:29 AM
    Some prefer to solder, some prefer to screw.
    Given a choice I'm going to chose "screwing" every time. LOL!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cutting and moving manifold in shower? [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to purchase a new manifold assembly that does not have the spicket for the tub. What do I use to cut the existing copper pipes in place and can I trust the compression fittings to replace the existing joints that have been fluxed and soldered(I will not trust myself to attempt doing this...

Leaking tailpieces on new shower manifold [ 8 Answers ]

Hi there everyone, I'm installing a manifold into a shower space, and when I charged the lines, the hot side began to show bubbles and weep at the threads of the tailpiece. http://personal.schwim.net/images/share/tailpiece.jpg Reading the instructions during assembly, I noted that there...

Shower Head Thread Size [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Price Pfister shower head that evidently does not have a standard thread size because I bought a standard shower head that will not install. Did Price Pfister use a different diameter about 12-15 years ago? Do stores like Home Depot or Lowe's sell an adaptor to allow me to drop down to...

Soldering copper pipe to shower valve [ 10 Answers ]

I have a shower valve body (brass) and am trying to solder copper pipe to it. For the life of me I can't seem to get the pipe and fitting hot enough to melt the solder. I noticed soldering copper pipe to the drop elbow took more flame heat than normal. Is there some trick when soldering copper...

Soldering a Moen shower valve [ 4 Answers ]

I'm new to this forum and have a question concerning the best way to solder a Moen model 62320 shower valve. Do I need to remove the cartridge? I was afraid it would get too hot and melt the o-rings. How do you know how long to heat the joint before you apply solder. It seems some of my joints are...

View more questions Search