Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fatimajaved Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2009, 03:32 PM
    Using an -er ending or a "more" beginning
    What is the rule for using an -er ending or a "more" beginning.
    Ex: She is happier than I. v. She is more happy than I.

Please let me know.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2009, 03:44 PM
    The general rule is that er is used when the word is one or two syllables. More is used when the word is three or more syllables.

Happy - Happier, Happiest
    Efficient - More Efficient, Most Efficient
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 2, 2009, 03:44 PM

From bartleby.com --

There are two patterns for comparison of adjectives, the inflected and the periphrastic. The inflected pattern adds -er to the positive degree of the adjective to form the comparative degree: small becomes smaller, happy becomes happier. To form the superlative degree, it adds -est: smallest, happiest.

The periphrastic pattern uses the adverbial intensifiers more and most: the comparatives of beautiful and ostentatious are more beautiful and more ostentatious; the superlatives are most beautiful and most ostentatious.

The generalizations that seem to account for whether we choose the inflected pattern or the periphrastic are these:
    (1) most one- and two-syllable adjectives use the inflected pattern;
    (2) adjectives of three and more syllables almost always use the periphrastic;
    (3) the higher the frequency of two-syllable adjectives, the more likely they are to inflect for comparison;
    (4) the periphrastic more and most may on occasion be used with any one-syllable or high-frequency two-syllable adjective, e.g. more dear, most happy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Name of ending song on "Delilah" show [ 5 Answers ]

I have been going crazy trying to find the name and artist of the song that used to end the Delilah show almost every night a few years ago. I am not looking for the current one ( Hey there Delilah) but the one she used to end with before. All I can remember is it was a man singing about his girl...

Correctly alphabetizing business names beginning with "The" [ 6 Answers ]

In a list of organizations, should names which begin with "The" be alphabetized by the first letter of the next word - as in, "The Center ..." under C? Or under T for The? Thanks!

Could I be ending someone's "perfect relationship"? [ 7 Answers ]

Hey there. So there's this guy who has had this girlfriend for about 2 years now... I know... weird for this to happen in high school right? So I met him about 2 months ago, and we connected so easily.. like I felt like I've known him forever and for some reason I feel drawn to him. So I asked my...

Do I tell her how I feel? The crazy "exes ex is suicidal" thing is ending. [ 2 Answers ]

So, Some of you may know my story from my previous post here :"My exes ex is suicidal." Here is my last question her: Okay, So my ex girlfriends ex boyfriend is suicidal. We will call the girlfriend 'Mary' and her ex boyfriend 'John,' and myslef 'Joe.' Mary went out with John for 4 months....

Title of romantic movie with "unhappy" ending [ 5 Answers ]

Hey all, I'm desperately trying to remember this movie I saw some time ago. It's so stupid of me, but I can only vaguely remember what it was about. Basically, it was a romantic movie about a guy and a girl and about if they get together or not. I think they get together, but they split up because...

View more questions Search