Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trailertramp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2006, 02:22 PM
    Feeding new born pup
    Hi all, hope someone can help please.
    My daughters staff has just given birth on Sunday evening, after four hours of labour she had 8 pups, all well except the last one which we did not really notice for the first couple of days,she is so tiny and when I picked her up to my astonishment she has no top lip and not much nose. More than likely if I take her to the vet they will put her to sleep but I want to give her a chance at life first, she does not suckle on mum so I syringe feed her but the problem is I don't know how many mls to give her so I feed her till she stops, she is on my grandaughters baby milk at the moment which I read on the net to use. I am feeding her every two hours and she is taking it well even though she cannot suckle, I have tried her on the mums teat but she can't attach as much as I try. Mum is good with her and lets me pick her up and then cleans her when I give her back. She seems to be thriving but is still a lot smaller than the others, only half the size, she is five days old now. Am I doing the right thing or is she going to suffer later in life. She breathes OK even when her mouth is closed, how I don't know but she does. Has anyone else had similar problems and how did they cope with such a young pup.
    tre_cani Posts: 117, Reputation: 22

Oct 6, 2006, 09:08 PM
    Sounds like cleft lip (hare lip) and/or palate. Try these links and check with your vet. They won't euthanize it without your consent. You should consider that it may not have a good quality of life with such a problem. Then again, it could be a healthy, happy animal with proper surgery and care!
    Good luck!
    :)
    http://www.staffordworld.50megs.com/...eftPalates.htm
    http://www.training-dog-breeds.com/cleft-palate.html

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/cleft.htm
    Melinda Posts: 102, Reputation: 20

Oct 10, 2006, 08:41 AM
    It does sound like a cleft pallet, they can repair it, your pup should be fed every two hours and kept warm, there are sites that will direct you to the proper temp to keep her/him at, if the mom doesn't feed or look after her, you will have to stimulate her to pee etc...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Miniature Dachsund Puppy Feeding [ 4 Answers ]

What kind of food should be given to a 5 week old mini doxie? I want to do whatever I can to prevent my little puppy from having long term back problems and need help on feeding

Looking for brother born 7/2/47 [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for my half brother who was born in Michigan on July 2 1947. I was wondering is it possible to get a list of male's born on that date who live in and out of Michigan. And is there a way to find spouses and family. Thank you Connie

Child born in USA, but [ 2 Answers ]

Living in France with the Mom, french citizen. The child has never requested any american documents, she just has her french id and passeport. Could she go to the USA , travelling with french passport ? Or does she need to apply for an american one? She is eleven years old now, she left the USA...

Feeding 2 week old puppies! [ 6 Answers ]

Okay, Are beagle had puppies just about 2 weeks ago, 2 really good size a 1 a runt. We have been bottle feeding them since the first day , cause are beagle had a C-secntion and we did not want to put her more pain.. I was wondering at what age can they drink/eat on there own... AND

Feeding 2 dashchund puppies [ 6 Answers ]

:D We just got two 8 weeks old brother and sister doxies, I'm a little confused as to how much to feed them. The breeder said to feed them two times a day, but I didn't catch how much and she is out of town for a week. We are feeding them Purina Puppy Chow and a little Avoderm. This is what the...

View more questions Search