Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clueless82072 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jun 2, 2009, 08:22 AM
    Teaching son to pee standing up
    Hi, I have a 3 year old son who I am having trouble teaching to use a toilet standing up. Any ideas how I should go about it?
    SailorMark Posts: 48, Reputation: 7

Jun 2, 2009, 08:23 AM
    Easy, play the "Billy Mitchell" game. Billy Mitchell taught the army they can sink battleships with airplanes. Put an ice cube in the toilet and let him be the airplane pilot and have him try to sink the battleship. It worked on my son!

Jun 2, 2009, 08:25 AM

Wow, thanks for getting back to me so soon. I'll try it.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2009, 08:26 AM

LET HIM WATCH HIS DaDDY DO IT STANDING UP! My so never sat down to pee only wanted to do it standing up... sorry I could not have been more of a help

Jun 2, 2009, 08:27 AM

The thing is, I am his daddy and he sees me doing it all the time.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2009, 08:59 AM

I KNOW IT MAY SOUND STRANGE BUT... my husband and son would have pee races.to see who could finish first and they both would do it at the same time. Sorry it is gross but it worked

Jun 2, 2009, 09:21 AM
    Sinking the battleship worked! Thanks sailorman, I appreciate it. Was about to try the race too!
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2009, 09:59 AM

Ring toss! Toss a handful of cheerios in the toilet and have him aim for the holes.

Jun 2, 2009, 10:14 AM
    Any one of these will work. I am glad the battleship worked but next time it might not. Use the cheerios or the race so he doesn't get bored with it.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2009, 10:21 AM

Plus he's only 3, give him time, there's no rush.

Jun 2, 2009, 10:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Plus he's only 3, give him time, there's no rush.
    There is a rush. His daycare won't move him from the 2 year old room into the 3 year old room until he can use the potty without help and go at least 3 weeks without an accident at daycare (and one other thing I may need to ask a question about). This has to do with the number of helpers in his daycare class and state law. He is advanced in most areas and can read simple books and write out our names and address so I am just assuming that the problem is my ignorance about how to teach and motivate him.

Jun 2, 2009, 11:02 AM

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending upon your point of view) you have described a very smart young man and at his age with as much intellect as he has he will likely be unconcerned with the state rules as they apply to daycare centers as it will be beneath him and he has much more important things to think about. Give him time and don't give up.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2009, 11:19 AM

That's a pretty tough daycare, usually they don't care if a boy sits or stands as long as they "fly solo" so to speak. It's not you, kids are geared in a way that they will do it when they are ready. As parents we just offer them the opportunity, training and encouragement.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2009, 12:51 PM

I hope his preschool realizes that it is perfectly normal for some children not to be completely potty trained at 3 years old. The ratio of children to staff does often change when you move up to the three year old room.

However, since he has already shown you that he can do it, that is half the battle.

Keep praising him when he does so on his own. Keep any accidents matter of fact, but if you think they are partly due to him being lazy, be sure he assists in changing his clothes and cleaning up any mess (as much as is practical). Offer frequent reminders... sometimes they get too busy, or don't want to miss out on something, and wait too long... :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ears standing up [ 7 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I am back with same problem regarding my german shepherd who is now almost eleven months. His ears are not standing up, should I be worried. As far as his parents, they are both pedigreed and have no problem about the ears or anything for that matter. Both have great personality as a...

When does No Standing mean? [ 1 Answers ]

What does no standing mean in the courts in the state of pa.

Academic standing [ 1 Answers ]

My schedule this term includes a four-credit literature class and a two-credit photograph class. Is it fair to say that the literature course should be worth more towards my academic standing than the photography class?

Standing water in dishwasher [ 1 Answers ]

:( I have a GE GDL4100LLWW dishwasher,I used it for couple of months and never saw any accumulated water after the dishes were done,but recently I see standing water in the inside of my dishwasher.Could anybody please shed some light on my problem. Thanks.

Standing All Day - Need Better Shoes [ 5 Answers ]

I am in a new job that requires standing and running around (helping customers) all day. I need a better shoe than my Sketchers as at the end of the day.. my legs are hurting. Would like some suggestions on what shoes to look into. Thanks in advance.. JonB

View more questions Search