Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sawad Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2009, 01:05 PM
    English watercolor of Italian Riviera, 19th c.
    Hello,
    Can anyone help me identify the artist of a watercolor (or watercolor and pencil) on paper, ca. 12 in. X 18 in. of Loano, on the Italian Riviera, dated 1869 or 1864. The painting was bought in Milan during between 1949-53 and is said to be by an English painter. I am attaching a closeup of the signature, as well as a detail of the painting.
    Attached Images

Lakery Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2009, 03:24 AM

Hello, I'm italian, I live in the place that is represented in thi watercolour.
    Unfortunately I don't know who is the painter, but you can search it on the "dictionary of the monogramists".

Can I know if you sell this watercolour?
    It is a place of my city and I collect this kind of watercolours!

I wait for your answer!
    Best regards!
    Sawad Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2009, 01:16 PM
    My dear Lakery,
    I am touched by your message, I would like to visit Loano myself someday. I will take your advice and check the dictionary you mention, so thank you for that.
    Unfortunately I could never part with this watercolour, no matter how much or little it is worth, because my mother bought it when we were living in Milan in the early 1950s, and it is one of the few things I have left of her since she passed away! However, I can understand your interest because it is a famous site that was painted by many Grand Tour travellers in the 19th century.
    Vengo in Italian spesso, ogni due anni all'incirca, chissa', forse la prossima volta passsero per Loano.
    Cordiali saluti!
    Lakery Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2009, 03:40 AM

Dear Sawad,
    Thank you very much for your answer and for your kindness!

Please let me know if you sell it !
    I felt in love with this little work, but now I am very sad to know your choice !

Best and kind regards !
    thatcomedian Posts: 53, Reputation: 4

Oct 23, 2009, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakery View Post
    Hello, I'm italian, I live in the place that is represented in thi watercolour.
    Unfortunately I don't know who is the painter, but you can search it on the "dictionary of the monogramists".
    What is the web address for this dictionary?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Italian immigration law- can an American become Italian based on bloodline [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I currently hold an American passport as I was born there in 1964. My father is Italian by birth and my grandparents the same. My mother is British. I left America in 1965 and have lived in the UK with both parents ever since. I have Indefinite leave to Remain. I do not hold British...

English speaking Italian Immigration Attorney [ 23 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a good Italian Immigration Attorney that they could put me onto. I am at my wits end. I have been trying to obtain an Italian passport or at least a right of abode for many years, I have searched every thing, and have had no luck. So if anyone has a really good attorney...

Italian to english or french translation [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, I am trying to figure out what is the meaning of - Ti voglio tanto bene cucciola. Thanks :)

Boyfriends 19th Birthday Ideas [ 2 Answers ]

Im taking him out to London, UK where we live If anyone lives in London and knows any awesome places a 19yr old guy would want to go please let me know And please don't say the usual (london eye, parliament, etc etc been there done all that) And also what else I can do to make his birthday...

Typing, esl teaching, italian-english translations. [ 1 Answers ]

I'm an English teacher living in Italy. Most of my experience is in teaching children. I can translate (correctly) from Italian to English. I did secretarial college, so I can type well. I would really like to find a way of working from home on-line. Could anyone suggest a non-saturated source...

View more questions Search