Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rikesh30 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2009, 10:11 AM
    How do you find out the north and the south pole of a magnet
    I am making a small wind turbine and I got magnets but it doesn't say which side is north and which side is south.

AND I CHECKED THE INTERNET AND IT SAYS IF U WANT YOUR TURBINE TO WORK THEY HAVE TO BE ALL FACING NORTH OR ALL SOUTH

I am not sure but I think you use a compass or something else

Plzz help
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2009, 10:16 AM
    ... I think you use a compass...
    Sounds like a plan to me.
    rikesh30 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2009, 10:18 AM

But I don't know how to do it because I already got a compass
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2009, 10:20 AM

A compass will tell you the poles.
    North needle of a compass(which is south)attracts to a north pole, and even the North Pole.
    Opposites attract.
    anam butt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2009, 08:59 PM

Yep a compass should be used.
    litlolme Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jun 1, 2009, 09:12 PM
    If you have a compass it's easy remember opposits attrack sames repell. If you bring the magnet near the north pole of the compass and it swings away that's the north ploe if it follows the maget as you move it around the compass it's the south ploe of the magnet.
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2009, 04:35 AM

Capichun is correct for now, didn't have to leave a negative but HAD to. Could have just corrected my statement.
    The poles swap every 100-200,000 years.
    What is near the Geographic North Pole, a Magnetic North or a Magnetic South?
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2009, 05:05 AM

Sound like, what came first the chicken or the egg.
    This case the compass must have been first, or else the north pole would be north charged?
    Wonder if many civilizations being North of the equator considered they were on top of the world(northern half). Maybe our maps and Globes should be upside down, so the north pole is at the North pole.
    I think they made a mistake and could never correct it, north pole up?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2009, 08:04 AM

If you didn't have a compass, you could still try to make your bar magnets swing freely, with a thread, or by placing it on a light and flat floating material, which is on still water.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2009, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Sound like, what came first the chicken or the egg.
    This case the compass must have been first, or else the north pole would be north charged?
    Wonder if many civilizations being North of the equator considered they were on top of the world(northern half). Maybe our maps and Globes should be upside down, so the north pole is at the North pole.
    I think they made a mistake and could never correct it, north pole up?
    They defined the direction toward the north pole as north in geographical terms. Then they defined the point of the magnetic compass that pointed towards north as magnetic north. There is no mistake, just 2 different definitions of north. The north geographical pole is a south magnetic pole.

Also you should look into the guidelines for using the reputation system. I was simply showing to the OP that your answer was not factually correct, whereas your retaliation reddie was misplaced and now I had to explain in that topic why my answer was still correct (plus there was clarification further down the page in that topic! ). Sorry if I damaged your e-persona.
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2009, 12:11 PM

I thought the reds for Newbies. I don't give them, even if deserved, had several given to me by mistake. I sometimes give one when others feel generous. They are not accurate.
    O0O0O0 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2011, 08:48 AM
    TRY THIS...
    Take a coated wire with bare ends and coil it up. Touch the bare ends to the opposite ends of a battery. The coil is now an electromagnet. The electrons coming from the negative (-) end of the battery flow through the wire to the positive (+) end of the battery. Depending on which end of the coil you are looking at, the electrons will move clockwise or counterclockwise. If the coil is sitting with its axis vertical, and the electrons are passing through the coil in a clockwise direction, then the top of the coil is the north pole end. It will attract the south end of your unmarked magnet and repel the north end.

Read more:http://www.ehow.com/
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2011, 11:09 AM

Since tey all need to be North OR South, use 1 magnet for a reference to identify all but the reference magnet. Then check the polarity of the last magnet using one of the identified ones as your new reference.
    tolulu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2011, 02:40 PM
    I think that you should figure out which place is north or south using a compass and then you get your answer. That is how I think will test which side of the magnet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old christmas movie, two kids travel to north pole looking for santa clause [ 6 Answers ]

Im looking for a christmas movie probably made in the 80's about a sister and brother who go to the north pole in hopes to find santa clause and ask about there parents who I believe are missionaries in Africa. On there way a big ogre or something finds them and takes them to his place and is going...

Find a person in Accra North, Ghana [ 5 Answers ]

I am looking for a person in Accra North, Ghana by the name of Francis Adams.

Who won Vietnam war? North or South Korea? [ 14 Answers ]

Simply, put who won the Vietnam war?

Nude beaches- North Carolina or South Carolina? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! I'm looking for a nude beach near myrtle beach but I'm not having any luck. Does anyone know where one is? Thank you blusia

Channal you music/web/ north,east, south, west [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know a web were you can lisen to R&B, hip-hop and watever. Secondly have you heard the video on channal you that goes something lyk this at the begging (north,east,south,west) and every one is wearing those t-shirts that say what side there on (e.g north side) and so on. :D I lyk that...

View more questions Search