Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2006, 05:03 AM
    My eyes
    I've always had these but now I'm slightly worried.

On my left eye ( on the left side ) and on my right eye ( on the right side ) I have a sort of yellow spot on either eye.
    Its not very noticeable until you look closely in the mirror.

If I'm not mistaken my dad had them too.

Im a smoker - not sure whether that makes a difference.
    I have no eye pain or anything, but its been worrying me slightly lately.
    Also my vision is good too.

Thanks in advance
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Oct 9, 2006, 09:00 PM
    Krs, is it actually on the 'eyeball' itself - or is it on the upper eyelid? I'm a little unsure about location as you describe it - for instance, on the left eye is it medial (toward your nose) or lateral (toward your ear)?

If they are on the eyeball itself, one possibility could be a pterygium - an overgrowth of the covering layer (the conjunctiva) - thought to be caused by overexposure to sunlight / wind / dust. These are usually harmless but (rarely) can eventually extend over the cornea and block vision. Pterygiums are usually located medially. Smoking could contribute to the irritation - if this is indeed what you have.

If they are on the eyelids, this could be xanthomas - cholesterol deposits in the skin. These are often harmless - but can be associated with elevated cholesterol and triglyceride levels (about 30 - 40% of patients will have abnormal levels). In that your father had them too could possibly indicate a family disposition for elevated cholesterol / triglycerides. These xanthomas are usually located medially also. If these are xanthomas and you do have an associated cholesterol abnormality - you may be at a significantly elevated risk for heart disease and stroke - even much more so since you smoke too!

Try looking up pterygium and xanthoma online to see if any of the pictures look like what you are seeing. I'd recommend you have your doctor look at these soon to establish a diagnosis and I'd strongly advise you to take steps to stop smoking.
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2006, 12:59 AM
    This is what I think I have. I hope its not serious?? :(

Pinguecula -- A yellowish, thickened lesion on the conjunctiva near the cornea. Pingueculae represent a benign degenerative change in the conjunctiva caused by the leakage and deposition of certain blood proteins through the permeable capillaries near the limbus.
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Oct 10, 2006, 07:00 AM
    Both pterygium and pingueculae are thought to be of similar origins - environmental exposure. Occasionally they require treatment - but most folks just live with them. Still, since we can't see them - you need to see your doctor (you need to have routine eye exams anyway - particularly if you are prone to environmental exposure - which can also lead to cataracts). There are multiple online sites that give more info - pictures, treatment options, and measures you can take to prevent worsening. Do a search.
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2006, 11:50 PM
    Ok thank u

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bags under eyes [ 18 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to get rid of bags under you eyes in a natural way??

The Sun in your Eyes? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I need once again another song discoveration :). Okay, if anyone has Sky Digital, there was a... advertisement.. of sorts.. of Late Night films, I think some of the song goes "The sun in your eyes". Hopefully this could help.

Their Eyes Were Watching God [ 5 Answers ]

I Need help coming up with a QUESTION TO ANSWER for my research paper on the novel "THEIR EYES WERE WATCHING GOD? My topic is "is nanny right when she says marriage is convenice" but I need to make that into a question?

The Hills Have Eyes [ 10 Answers ]

I just rented the movie last night so I watched it and I sit their just cringed and my wife sit their jumping and screaming.I never seen a movie in a long long time to make me do this.next to the Excorcist this movie is the scariest movie I have ever seen.Now I understand why they banded it from...

Eyes [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible for two blue-eyed people to have a brown eyed-child?

View more questions Search