Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    birds16 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2009, 07:14 PM
    2009 First Time Home Buyer Tax Credit
    I recently purchased a foreclosure in FL and wanted to take advantage of the full firt time home buyer tax credit of 8k. However the property only cost me 27k as the purchase price. Since I put over 55k of work into the place (total cost of 82k), will I be able to add these two amount together to get my 10% (8k tax credit refund)?
    dawgsnkats Posts: 130, Reputation: 7

May 31, 2009, 08:05 PM

First-Time Homebuyer Credit Questions and Answers: Basic Information is a FAQ site for the IRS. I read the policy as purchasing price not investment after the fact. I think that if the mortgage for property was actually 82K then you may have an opportunity. Contact your local IRS office or a tax attorney to ensure the correct interpretation. Congrats on the new home!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jun 1, 2009, 01:46 AM

No, you will get credit of $2.7K.
    Your U.S. Tax Return: First-Time Homebuyer Credit

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Purchasing home from my brother.do I still qualify for the first time buyer credit? [ 16 Answers ]

Form 5405 states that you can not claim the first time homebuyer tax credit if you purchase the home from a relative. However, 8a states that a related person includes your spouse, ancestors, (parents, grandparents, etc) or lineal descendents. I intend to purchase a home from my brother. ...

First Time Home Buyer $8,000 Tax Credit for Non Resident Aliens [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, Hope everyone is doing great. I am currently on H1B Visa which makes me an NRA (Non-Resident Alien). We are planning to buy a house and our realtor told us that as NRA we are eligible to get the First Time Home Buyer $8,000 Tax Credit. I tried to find something about NRA's in .gov Web...

Tax credit for 1st time home buyer [ 1 Answers ]

My fiancé has never purchased a house so we would like to take advantage of the $8000 1st time homebuyer tax credit. I however own a home. Does he need to buy our next home without me on the title? Can I be a co-signer for the loan even if I am not put on the title? Can we be married? (Our...

First-Time Home Buyer Tax Credit [ 5 Answers ]

I was wanting to get opinions on the First-Time Home Buyer Tax Credit. I've looked over the website and it looks to be just a loan from the government. I was wondering if any one has heard more about this. Like, do you think there would be long term problems from taking this or is it a good...

First time home buyer tax credit eligibility [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am not H1B visa and my wife is on H4 visa. I have SSN and my wife has ITIN. We are planning to buy a house and I want to know if we are eligible to receive $7500 tax credit when I file the tax return for 2008. Thank you

View more questions Search