Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2009, 05:31 PM
    Writing lyrics/creating a song
    Hi, I've seen all these threads about writing songs and getting help with doing so, so if its all right id like to give it a try, I play the guitar, albeit not that well, and that's really the extent of my musical expertese :D, so any help on where to start and how would be great, thanks :D
    BackFrumTheDead Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2009, 06:05 PM

What kind of music? I have friends that write music just for fun. They say that the easiest way is that once you come up with a name for your song its like writing a 3 minute story about that word.
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2009, 06:20 PM

Hmmm thanks, I've already tried writing lyrics but haven't hiven it a title yet, also I was thinking more along the lines of guitar solo apart from the choruses, kind of slow rock if you know what I mean, but... I can't think of a tune. And my lyrics that I've written down need work :)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 31, 2009, 06:36 PM

Hi, albear!

I've received your emails as well as private messages.

It's not hard. The important thing is just to start it.

As I've already mentioned to you, I can help you with all aspects of writing a song.

But, you do fear about it being something that's personal here...

If I were to help you on this site, that is something that I will help you with for free. If it goes beyond being on this site, well that is something that I would need to charge you for what I've provided to you.

If it happens on this site, then it's free!

I have no problem with people using the music that I've written on this site in other ways. I would also hope that you don't have a problem with others using the lyrics that you've written.

What us written this site can be a help to you in how to compose songs. It's not the end of the line here...

I hope that you understand. I think that you do. It's just the way things are...

I can think of tunes instantly, albear! It's part of the "gift" that I have.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2009, 06:42 PM

Yea, your right about me being hesitant because it's a bit personal, but no I don't mind others using whatever I write,

Jun 1, 2009, 09:50 AM
    Have you tried listening to slow rock singers? You know.. maybe get an insperation, come up with ideas, I'm not saying copy them just gets some ideas:D:D
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2009, 12:51 PM

Yeah, which is why id like it to be in that style, well also because I think it fits the words as well.
    So I take it you'd like me to post up the bit I have done so you can help me with refining it and helping me creating a tune
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2009, 01:05 PM

Hi, albear!

Would you please post at least a couple lines of lyrics that you would like to have set to music?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2009, 01:25 PM

Reet, this is what I've got for the first verse:

Did you ever wonder if you were good enough for the people around you,
    For the people who you care for,
    For the people that care about you.
    Did you ever want to make the world a better place
    Did you ever wonder if the world would be a better place without you
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2009, 01:59 PM

I'll work on that and get back to you here, albear.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2009, 02:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    I'll work on that and get back to you here, albear.

Thanks!

Jun 1, 2009, 04:34 PM
    lol sounds great, have you tried the typical method of repeating the same verse and then changing the words around? kind of like the songs that repeat the same word (name of the song) over and over again.

i dont know if that style works for you but it seems to work for the pros.
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2009, 05:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFrumTheDead View Post
    lol sounds great, have you tried the typical method of repeating the same verse and then changing the words around? kind of like the songs that repeat the same word (name of the song) over and over again.

i dont know if that style works for you but it seems to work for the pros.
    I want the song to progress with each verse, but returns to the same chorus

Jun 1, 2009, 05:13 PM
    I think it would be best then if clough helped you out the rest f the way I was just giving any advice my friends would give me. All I got now is try putting how you feel into the song instead of making something up. Good luck :D :D :D
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2009, 05:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFrumTheDead View Post
    i think it would be best then if clough helped you out the rest f the way i was just giving any advice my friends would give me. all i got now is try putting how you feel into the song instead of making something up. good luck :D :D :D
    OK, thanks for the advice though :)
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2009, 10:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by albear View Post
    reet, this is what ive got for the first verse:

Did you ever wonder if you were good enough for the people around you,
    for the people who you care for,
    for the people that care about you.
    Do You Ever Wonder?

Did you ever wonder if you were good enough
    For the people all around you,
    For the people who you care for,
    For the people that care about you.

Hi again, albear!

Okay, I've added the word "all" to the first verse so that it's a little more balanced for a melody. I've already got a melody in my head for this.

What would you think about using those last two lines for the chorus? Also, can you read music with notes that are on staves?

Do you think that Do You Ever Wonder? Sounds good for the title?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 05:18 AM
    Do You Ever Wonder?

Did you ever wonder if you were good enough
    for the people all around you,
    for the people who you care for,
    for the people that care about you.

Hi again, albear!

Okay, I've added the word "all" to the first verse so that it's a little more balanced for a melody. I've already got a melody in my head for this.

What would you think about using those last two lines for the chorus? Also, can you read music with notes that are on staves?

Do you think that Do You Ever Wonder? sounds good for the title?

Thanks!
    Hi again, thanks clough, yea the 'all' looks all right

That was intended to be the first verse out of the five that I've written
    This was what I thought could be the chorus:

How can we tell, how can we trust those around us, to tell the truth, how can we trust ourselves, to believe the truth,
    What are the tell tale signs
    How can I believe people like me when I don’t like me
    How can people stand to be near me when I don’t want to be near me
    Why can't I see why they say nice things about me,
    Do I truly believe that I am such an undeserving person
    How ?

As for 'Do You Ever Wonder?' for the title, I don't think it fits to be honest

Its been a long time since I've read music, I've fogotten what notes they mean now, however I'm more familiar with tab if that helps?
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 02:29 PM

I can write in tabs, but it would be quicker with actual notes. I'm not all that familiar with tabs, but I do have a program that will write them.

I'll work with your chorus later tonight.

It's important that lines of the lyrics be about the same length in order to fit with a melody and rhythm the best. Also, it helps to have an even number of lines for verses and the chorus.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 05:38 PM
    I can write in tabs, but it would be quicker with actual notes. I'm not all that familiar with tabs, but I do have a program that will write them.

I'll work with your chorus later tonight.

It's important that lines of the lyrics be about the same length in order to fit with a melody and rhythm the best. Also, it helps to have an even number of lines for verses and the chorus.Thanks!
    Yea sorry abou that ill have to devote some more time to work on them. I've only bolded them so they stand out when I re read to remind me.

Do you want me to post up the rest of what I've done so far or work on this now and post it later?

Thanks
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 05:41 PM
    I think that it would be best to work on a little bit at a time. So, I would suggest that you post additional things later.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Song lyrics.need song title and artist [ 1 Answers ]

Who sings the song with lyrics: "everything is you" I think that might be the name of the song

A song I know some of the lyrics but can not remember what the song is calle [ 1 Answers ]

I can not remember what this song is called some of the lyrics in it is I'm queen of the tred mill trying to stay the size you think that I should stay I use to dream about what I would be but last night I dream about washing machines it is a country song

Where can I find song lyrics beginning with the phrase my life goes on in this song [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I find song lyrics beginning with the phrase my life goes on in this song

Writing Lyrics [ 30 Answers ]

Lately I've been trying to write songs... But nothing comes out... I can't seem to be.. something.. Anyone who writes music or poetry will know what I mean I feel that there is so much inside me waiting to come out, I just know there is! But I need a tap shoved into my heart to let these...

I'm trying to find a song but only know the lyrics-sweet thing, a dance song [ 1 Answers ]

I think its by jones town but can't fing it anywhere. The lyrics are "ill give you some elicit pain sweet thing your such a sweet thing" "step in my room coz lady on im the in the mood to love you all night long" argh. Help!

View more questions Search