Ask
    SugaMomma67 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2009, 04:02 PM
    Ceiling Fan not turning but lights are working
    Please help.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 1, 2009, 08:18 AM

Brand, model,is it a remote, wall switch or pull chains?? Too much info not given to be helpful.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2009, 06:16 PM

I second the questions.

General ceiling fan troubleshooting and help FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More
    Alyeska Posts: 44, Reputation: 0

Jun 1, 2009, 06:19 PM

When a fan doesn't work at all, be sure it is receiving electrical power from its switch and from the circuit breaker or fuse box. First check the circuit breaker or fuse, then the switch. Here's how to check the switch:
    1) Turn off the power to the fan circuit.

2) Remove the switch's cover plate and unscrew the screws that mount the switch to the electrical box.

3) Use a voltage tester to check the screw terminals on the side of the switch to make sure they're not hot (charged), then gently pull the switch out from the box.

4) Unscrew the wires from the two terminals and straighten their ends with a pair of pliers.

5) Twist the two bare ends together and screw a wire nut onto the twisted pair.

6) Turn the circuit back on. If the fan goes on, the switch is bad—just buy a new one and install it. If the fan still doesn't work, the problem is in the wiring or the fixture.

7) Turn off the power to the circuit, reconnect the switch, put the cover plate back on, restore the power to the circuit, and check the fan fixture or call an electrician.
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2009, 06:22 PM

Still, I'd go with posts #2 and #3.

Jun 1, 2009, 07:05 PM

I agree, we already know that the breaker is not tripped and the lights work.
    SugaMomma67 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2009, 12:13 PM

Hello All... thank you for your responses... I'm not sure about the make/model of the fan, it does have pull chains and as mentioned prior, the lights work fine, the fan just doesn't turn anymore.
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2009, 02:09 PM

We need more information. A picture can help as well. And check the troubleshooting guide I posted.

Jun 2, 2009, 02:13 PM

Are you using a switch or the pull chains to turn on this fan? If you have a wall switch flip it to ON and then also pull the chain after flipping the switch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling Fan 4 lights - 2 not working [ 8 Answers ]

I bought an older house last week. All four bulbs in the ceiling fan were working. I removed the globes to wash them and when I put them back in, two out of the four light sockets are not working.

Ceiling fans and lights turning on by themselves [ 1 Answers ]

I have ceiling fans (with lights) in bedrooms and familyroom. They are controlled by switch w/battery. The fans and/or lights started coming on by themselves. Thought might be battery. Replaced batteries. Still have problem. Took batteries out of switch and the fans and/or lights still come...

Ceiling fan and bedroom/bathroom lights quit working [ 5 Answers ]

I was changing a light bulb in my ceiling fan and my bedroom and bathroom lights and ceiling fan quit working. I checked the breakers and nothing was tripped. I reset the breakers anyway and it is still not working. Do I need to check the wiring and if so, what do I check for?

Installed Ceiling Fan: Fan Works/Lights Quit Working [ 3 Answers ]

I successfully installed a Hampton ceiling fan about three maybe four years ago and it has worked just fine up until about 4 months ago when the lights would start going off and then sometimes come back on intermittently. Suspecting a loose connection, I removed the light housing and found that...

2 Ceiling Lights stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

Both my upstairs landing light and bedroom light have both stopped working. What ever has caused them to stop also appears to have blown the bulbs. I have changed the bulbs and checked the fuse board (not sure if that's the correct name for it) but all the switches were still on. I turned them off...

View more questions Search