Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ljm51981 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2009, 01:03 PM
    Preparing is, re and balance sheet from Trial balance adjustement sheet
    I am trying to do my income statement, retained earnings and balance sheet from my adjusted trial balance sheet.

I am confused from my book about the debits and credits. When I transfer them over from the adjusted sheet. Do they stay on the same sides.

For example: assests will be on the debit side. When I do my new income, retained earnings and balance sheets do they remain on the debits side or do I change them to the credit side?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2009, 01:13 AM

First of all, you don't move the sides of the balances of any accounts, ever. If the account has a debit balance, it has a debit balance. It won't change. An entry to it can be on either side, but the balancing side won't ever change. If it does, that means the balance has gone negative and that isn't supposed to happen. In real life all sorts of goofy things can happen and theoretically are supposed to be taken care of in specific ways... but in a book you will not find negative accounts.

As for the financial statements, they aren't debits and credits at all. They are just a reporting of the balances. For instance, take a balance sheet. You just list all your assets. You aren't listing them as debits -- you're just listing the balances. Accumulated depreciation is a contra asset and offsets a fixed asset. On the balance sheet, you won't debit the asset and credit the accumulated depreciation. You will list the asset and subtract the accumulated depreciation to get a net book value. Then all the liabilities are listed together, not as credits. Just listed. Along with equity. The liabilities and equity add together and should equal assets. But they aren't debits & credits.

All pieces of paper with columns aren't debits & credits. They don't actually come with that written on them. They're just blank with columns. If you want to make a journal of it, you write it and you write in dr and cr. If you don't write it, then it's not.

Just as a note, debits & credits are based on the accounting equation. The Balance Sheet basically is reporting the details of the accounting equation. So it's more like debits & credits are based on how the balance sheet looks, not the other way around.
    iscremel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2009, 02:51 AM

I agree, amount in the debit side stay on the debit,that means that is an asset, as morgaine300 said base on the accounting equation
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2009, 04:50 PM

Thank you for your insight, iscremel. The post is from May so I don't think they're here anymore.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to prepare a balance sheet referring a trial balance [ 5 Answers ]

How to prepare a balance sheet from a trial balance ? Can anybody help me by giving An example Regards alanani

Creating balance sheet from trial balance [ 10 Answers ]

I am having issues getting a balance sheet to come out right from the given data from a trial balance. Can anyone help me out with this? I have included a picture of what I am working on...

How to record partners'current acounts in the trial balance and balance sheet [ 1 Answers ]

Two persons started their own business with the amount of dhs 175000 paid by one of them who doesn't work in the company . And the other one work in the company as a general manger .Considering the money as a loan to be paid back to the partner within 18 months, when their first financial...

Making a balance sheet from a trial balance. [ 1 Answers ]

I have come up with the attached balance sheet so far from the trial balance, but as it can obviously be seen it does not balance. I'm not sure where to go from here or where I made a mistake. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Trial Balance and Balance Sheet of an airline company [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to get the idea about the trial balance andbalance sheet of an airline company. Can any one help me with that? Thanks, Shanthi

View more questions Search