Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 1, 2009, 11:16 AM
    Okay, here goes, and I expect to get an argument...

Before starting nursing school, most schools require their students to undergo a background check. If it comes back unclean... felonies or certain misdemeanors, that student is not accepted into nursing school. PERIOD. Then, prior to graduation, for those of us that were clean, we undergo another background check, this time with fingerprints, if we are clean we are given the go ahead to take our NCLEX. If there is a smudge on your record, you just wasted your money.

Most facilities will not hire ANYONE with a felony or certain misdemeanors, they have their patients' safety to consider.
    SailorMark Posts: 48, Reputation: 7

Jun 1, 2009, 12:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I find your sarcasm to be unnecessary - people ask me for my credentials all the time. I don't take it as "name calling, insults and self-righteous indigniation and character attacks." I assume they want to know where I'm coming from.

I in no way "attacked your credentials" (and I'd like to see where I did that) because my late husband served on a Pharmacy Board. I find your response to be juvenile. And thanks for your expression of sympathy.

In the same tone you used, good for you and your Air Transport License. That isn't the question - the question is Nursing and Pharmacy. Other than a brief autobiography, however fascinating, I don't find that you answered the very same question you accused me of not answering.

When you are around a little longer you will learn that many people who post have no idea how to do their own research OR do the research, add one and one and get three. Not saying this is the case with OP but it seems apparent that she asked no further questions and hasn't spoken with admissions wherever she intends to go to school to see if she can be licensed. Maybe she can find the info. Maybe she can't. I don't know and neither do you.

My advice is exactly what I said the first time around - beleive the Nursing Boards. If they say it's case by case, does OP want to roll the dice, pay for an education and not be licensed?

And without knowing what the felony is, it's IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to know what the case-by-case review will decide. If drugs and/or theft were involved I don't see any chance of a license in either profession.
    I hate to tell you this but I am not using sarcasm. I find your responses to my arguments insulting and demeaning.

You said your late husband served on a pharmacy board. This in no way validates or invalidates my arguments, nor does it validate or invalidate yours. You used this as a means to validate your credentials and invalidate mine. I responded! Your argument that your credentials are more valid and thus your arguments better than mine based upon this are in my opinion self-righteous, pedantic, juvenile and self-serving. You then ask for my credentials and then complain about the autobiography. That is too bad, but you did ask for them.

You say my response was juvenile when I spelled out for you clearly why I believe my advice to be valid. Rather than calling me "juvenile" and then say my arguments are not valid, please understand from my point of view this was a similar circumstance in dealing with a bureaucracy before a licensing or certification board and I did exactly what I am advocating OP to do. It worked! Your response is that since it was with the FAA and not a Pharmacy Board it doesn't count. I say in the terms of a bureaucracy, it is exactly the same. Doesn't matter what governmental agency is involved, you can usually get a clear and concise answer ahead of time.

Now, you are correct in that we simply don't know the details as we haven't been supplied with them. What are the circumstances? I only say that she should put it in writing to the board and ask them for their exact policy as it would apply to her. She doesn't need to roll the dice as her case probably has a clearly delineated policy addressing it and I don't think it is a waste of her time to ask.

If they won't give her the answer as many here believe, then I believe she has another avenue to get it. She can call her local legislative representative and ask him or her to get the answer for her. All state agencies want their funding protected and will answer the local congressman or assemblyman.

I did call on friends in three different states who serve on licensing boards and I have to admit you were correct in your response about New York, they wouldn't give me the time of day. Wyoming and South Carolina both said send the letter with the details of the conviction for them to review. Not only is it case-by-case, but differs greatly state-by-state.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 1, 2009, 12:17 PM
    Thread closed. This bickering back and forth is not helping the OP

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I am a convicted felon [ 5 Answers ]

I live in the state of California so if anyone can help me please or give me any advive I would appriecate it very much. I am a recovering addict. I have almost five years clean. When I was using, I was a totally different person and went a little crazy, stupid crazy. Anyway, I was convicted of...

Convicted felon marrying another convicted felon [ 2 Answers ]

Can a convicted felon marry another convicted felon? One is still in prison the other is no longer under supervised release. Both are federal cases.

A convicted felon marrying another felon [ 2 Answers ]

I am a felon and my fiance' has just been picked up by the feds and we were going to get married in 2 weeks. I am wondering if I can still marry him in the federal jail. I know that the government shuns felons around other felons but, we have 3 kids together and I would think that they would allow...

Can you be a convicted felon [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to be a Vet tech or animal control officer can I do that being a convicted felon

Convicted felon [ 2 Answers ]

Are convicted felons given the privilege to receive financial aid for schools in Georgia?

View more questions Search