Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ida Liew Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2009, 06:52 AM
    Depreciation Accounts
    Hello, I have an question here. Can anyone help me?
    My question is:

CMY Berhad started its business on July 1 2005 and the same day purchased machinery for RM24000. CMY Berhad decided that its financial year would end on 31 December each year and rate of depreciation is 20% per annum. On 1 October 2006, CMY Berhad purchased additional machinery for RM6000 and decide to depreciation it the same way as the old machine. It should be noted that depreciation on the machinery is to the manufacturing account.

Required:

For the year 2005,2006 and 2007, prepare the accounts for:
    a) Machinery

b) Depreciation showing for each year the transfer entries to the final account

Ida.L
    dawgsnkats Posts: 130, Reputation: 7

May 31, 2009, 07:02 AM

The depreciation for one year is 20% of purchase price. If the equipment was purchased on July1, then the amoun is half of one year. For the Oct purchase the amount will be 1/4 of the full 20%.
    dawgsnkats Posts: 130, Reputation: 7

May 31, 2009, 07:05 AM
    The depreciation expense account will be debited for the amount of depreciation for each year. The accumulated depreciaton account will be credit for the same amount. The accum dep account is a contra account to machinery. This account will show what the BOOK value is of the machinery. Hope this helps
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2009, 12:58 AM

The debit is not to depreciation expense. It's a manufacturer and it says it's charge to the manufacturing account. This would be an overhead cost to a manufacturer, not an administrative expense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accumulated Depreciation and Depreciation Expense [ 10 Answers ]

I have accumulated depreciation and depreciation expense. Do they go together on the Asset side of the balance sheet? My balance sheet is not balancing! The accumulated depreciation is subtracted from the assets on my balance sheet. If I add the depreciation expense to the assets, my balance...

Depreciation Expense and Accumulated Depreciation are classified,respectively, as: [ 3 Answers ]

Depreciation Expense and Accumulated Depreciation are classified,respectively, as: a. expense, contra asset b. asset, contra liability c. revenues, asset d. contra assest, expense I think it is A

Depreciation methods; partial year depreciation [ 5 Answers ]

A company had a bulldozer that was destroyed by fire. The bulldozer originally cost $170,000. The accumulated depreciation on it was $90,000. The proceeds from the insurance company were $155,000. The company should recognize a.A loss of $75,000. b.A loss of $80,000. c.A gain of...

Depreciation Expense and Accumulated Depreciation are classified, respectively, as [ 2 Answers ]

Depreciation Expense and Accumulated Depreciation are classified, respectively, as

View more questions Search