Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cbuddyw Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2009, 12:16 AM
    Outdoor dual switch and outlet - can's use both @ same time
    Outdoor elec. Need.. existing reg 110 outlet (on an AFGI breaker) G/B/W wires present & connected... what is proper wiring for the following please?. want to take G/B/W 12 gage wires and run in 1/2" schedule 40 conduit from this outlet to a dual waterproof light switch box on wall... approximately 10' away. One switch is to turn on/off 2 separate pillar lights (on same one switch - pillars about 15' apart) and the other (2nd) on/off switch on box to another/different/new 110 exterior outlet (to operate H2O fountain or other appliance/light). At one point it seemed as if I had wiring right based on tester... both light switch and outlet switch worked fine separately and trip separately, HOWEVER, when I attempt to turn both switches to operate 2 pillar lights and fountain at same time, everything 'trips' and not operate. How and where do I run elec. Wires to ensure all works properly please? Thank you for help ASAP as have pending Code inspection next week!
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2009, 02:30 AM

What 'trips'?

Chuck

May 31, 2009, 07:28 AM
    [QUOTE=creahands;1767903]What 'trips'?
    Hi. Thx. For reply. In attempting to turn on both switches AT THE SAME TIME (to operate 2 pillar lights and fountain new dual 110 outlet), the GFCI circuit these two referenced reg. 110 outlets are on (see orig. question description) trips or pops. I then have to go to garage (where GFCI outlet is that popped/tripped) and reset things. How do I do the wiring configuration so I can be sure to be able to turn on both switches at the same time or separately and ensure the GFCI does not 'trip'/pop unless there is a problem w/H20 or cut in line after the project is done? In short, I need a 'walk through description' of how [i.e. what G/B/W wires connect (via any relevant screw poles on terminals and/or pigtail splices) w/what G/B/W wires along the lines/wire runs to the switch, new 110 outlet and both pillar lights so everything works correctly and safely?] Thx.:)
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 31, 2009, 07:50 AM
    What is the amperage that you are trying to pull through to the switches?

A 12 AWG wire will handle up to 20 AMPs. Check the amperage needed by the pump as well as both lights. If the total draw is more than 20 amps, that's your problem.

If you are trying to run a 30 amp breaker with 12 AWG wire, you need to either change the wire to #10 AWG or change the breaker to a 20 amp breaker to be within code.

May 31, 2009, 08:17 AM

Noted. Thx. At moment amp unknown and no meter, but could get if needed/necessary to check. HOWEVER, in my orig. post I used 'fountain' indicating the intended purpose of that outlet - but presently, more accurately, the outlet is empty (no appliance or fountain plugged in) when things trip/pop as described above. Lamps each are 120V 60Hz, max bulb 60 watt. Amp unknown. Also fyi circuit is on 2 pole breaker at box. One pole is on/off for xmas lights outlet and 2nd pole for these two outlets, back yard GFCIs x2, and garage GFCI x1. The only thing known to be plugged into this same GFCI line/circuit is an AC adaptor for my home alarm system.) When I plug in the elec. Tester (empty outlet) it reads the elec. Outlet is fine, however, when I turn on the light switch (w/their wires running through this same 110 outlet box) the tester trips/pops (i.e. the 2 'ok/correct' lights go out) and the two lamps do not come on. Does this help in helping me ? Thx. Also, how/where do I determine the amps of lamps and/or outlet? Thx. Again.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 31, 2009, 09:48 AM
    Okay, some basic stuff. The max wattage that can be used by a 20 amp 120 vac circuit is 2400 watts (E X I = P). Translated Voltage X Amperage = Watts. 120 X 20 = 2400 watts. I am limiting the circuit to 20 amps because NEC code states that 12 AWG or larger wires are to be used for 20 amp lines.

Both lights, when on, will only drain 120 watts total. That leaves with you with a total of 2280 watts for your circuit. For example, P/E = I (Power in watts / voltage = amperage. So 60 / 120 = 0.5 amps. Both lamps would total to 1 amp. Leaving 19 more amps available on the circuit.

To get the amperage/wattage needed by the fountain pump, you need to look at the manufacturer's label on the pump. It should be listed there.

Since you are seeing an immediate trip (fault), I suspect that you have a wiring problem.

At the panel, are you describing a single block breaker with two handles joined together? If so, you are describing a 240 VAC breaker. This alone could fry the entire circuit. What is the amperage shown on the breaker handle? Or do you have two independent slimline 20 amp breakers using the same slot? From the start of the circuit at the breaker through the termination of the circuit, what else is on this circuit?

Can you please clip some pictures of the breaker and the wiring at the junction boxes that you have made so we can see what is going on here.

May 31, 2009, 03:06 PM
    Hi. Ok... not realize I could add pics... here are a few. Not sure of the order they will show in this thread, however, hopefully they will be self-explanatory regardless. Definitely they should give a better idea of overall project/issue at hand. Breaker this is on is seen in top left... the one in off position. In answer to your question, amperage shown on the breaker handle appears to be 15 (not notice this before, that's what the 15 means? Can I use the 12G wire and switch out the breaker to a 20 amp or not needed?)... appears to be two independent slimline amp breakers using the same slot... but both have 15 on handles. Definitely 120 vac circuit not 240. From the start of the circuit at the breaker through the termination of the circuit, what else is on this circuit?. the only thing plugged into same GFCI line (to my knowledge) is the power supply for home alarm system in garage (I included a pic. As can be seen this is the outlet that trips when I turn on lights and new outlet). FYI - please do not be concerned w/gray cable w/wires in pics. This is in large part the reason I am having to redo project to pass inspection. I now realize I cannot use this 3 wire direct burial gray cable in the 1/2" conduit. I only left and wired as you see in pics to continue testing the elec. Line and get correct before undoing. Once connections are correct I will draw pic, undo all, lay conduit, and re-feed G/W/B 12G wires throughout, and connect. Remember, no pump/fountain yet, but anticipated so amp/watt of pump etc. unknown. Right now I plug a vacuum and/or elec. Light etc. in new 110 outlet (or at moment/most often - until I get fountain) it remains empty. Like I shared, both switches seem to work correctly independently. Not able to turn both switches on at same time and anticipate wanting/needing to, so can't have trip. Yes, agreed likely a wiring problem... hence my question/need. Does the 15 amp breaker have anything to do with it? If so, how do both switches work independently but not together? Somehow going over 15 amps perhaps? Can I replace 15 amp breaker to 20 slimline breaker w/o issue? Must I replace both sharing the same slot to 20 each? Just a matter of switching them out or more to it? Or no need? Sorry... lots of questions. Thank you in advance. NOTE: 1st wired box in pic is existing on ext. of home... G/B/W coming out of home and going down conduit to start the run. 2nd wired pic is the dual switch box. Comes in up left side conduit and then 2 whites, 2 blk, 2 green go down rt. Conduit to new 110 box in other pic (on pillar currently empty). The configuration is in a pic w/o a box etc. From this box wiring I then need to feed the two pillar lamps. How everything should be wired, spliced, pigtailed etc. is what I am seeking for all to work. I have some more pics, but thread limits size so submitting after this entry. I look forward to your input, guidance, and expertise. Thx.
    Attached Images

May 31, 2009, 03:17 PM

More pics to go with last submission herein.
    Attached Images

Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 31, 2009, 03:57 PM

All loads need to be either line side or load side of GFI or tripping will occure.
    In your 2 gang switch box, it looks like power does not originate from house, but from underground or else from the house would go to 2 switches?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 31, 2009, 04:00 PM

Attached Images

essize5bud Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2009, 04:05 PM

Additional pics

May 31, 2009, 04:25 PM
    More pics of project...
    Attached Images

May 31, 2009, 04:37 PM

Thx. Harold, my ignorance no doubt, but not following notes as w= my neutral, b= hots. Also 2nd pic.. this outlet is existing from house... 1 B/W/G coming in from back... grounds pigtailed... and 1 B/W/G starting down line to feed dual switch box (see left of pic). Yes two B wires u note in 1st pic... one is going light other to outlet further down line. . See additional pics. Ones w/red tester will be at new outlet... from there feed both lights on pillars. Outlet and pillars on separate switch at dual box. Seem to work independently OK, but wiring if off as can't have both switches on w/o immediately tripping GFCI in garage. Thx. So much for any input/guidance.

May 31, 2009, 07:21 PM

Something tells me that the two pillar lights were pre-existing with a single switch on the column.

That you wish to change the single gang switch box to a two gang box, add another switch to control an outlet you are adding.

Something also tells me that the switch that controlled the pillar lights only had one black and one white white wire. That would mean that it was a switch leg only and that power was being provide to the pillar light fixture itself.

If that is correct, put the original switch back the way it was and use the second switch to interrupt the circuit to the outlet that now comes from the outlet on the house wall.

May 31, 2009, 09:30 PM

Unfortunately, although perhaps understandable from your view and expertise, no... I actually built the smaller pillars and lights in pics... and installed the dual gang switch box, & new 110 outlet. Everything is new by me in project. I am drawing orig. power from PRE-existing outlet on front porch (which is on GFCI line from home build). All else I did in pics... wrought iron, 2 small pillars, lights, outlet box and dual switch box on larger pillar in pic. First time for anything of this nature... hehe... not bad aye? Lol... No pre-existing switch was there. Well, the only thing I am stuck on is this elec. Issue. Would it be possible for a reader/electrician to write out or draw out a detailed schematic showing proper connections, splices etc. for what I am trying to do starting w/one B/W/G 12AWG wire coming from orig. outlet (this was all there was before I started)? This would be most helpful at this point. Is the 15 amp breaker at box a problem? Or not an issue since both the lights and outlet work fine on their own? I just can't get both switches on (to operate lights and new outlet for future fountain) at the same time... w/o the GFCI circuit 'tripping'/popping. Thx. For any assistance ASAP... code inspection next week. I truly appreciate everyone's time and input.

May 31, 2009, 09:42 PM
    Another pic of other pillar and light I added... the 2nd one (not in this pic but in other pic in thread) is to the right of this one. (I mention this to give you an overall visual of the project layout - in combination w/other pics in thread.) Thx.

May 31, 2009, 09:52 PM

Just trying to imagine environment to deduce what the problem could be. Your connection at house outlet looks good, switch wiring looks good. I take it that it is the ground fault of the GFI outlet that is tripping. Suggest that you look for nicked wiring that could be in contact with earth and make sure that the outlet (the one with the testor) is not shorting to ground. Could also consider whether the GFI, which must be upstream to the power providing outlet, could be faulty.

Speaking of that outlet, you have one cable providing power to the outlet. You have two other cables spliced together with wire nuts. I assume that the outlet is on one switch and the spliced cable is on the other switch and goes to the lights.

May 31, 2009, 10:00 PM
    In the pic I see two bare ground wires and the green ground from the outlet connected together, where is other bare ground wire? Is it just the pic. Ground should not affect GFI tripping. Might if in contact with earth.

Edit: Never mind I see it in first pic. Not a part of this problem but you will have to ground both switches for inspector.

May 31, 2009, 10:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Just trying to imagine enviorment to deduce what the problem could be. Your connection at house outlet looks good, switch wiring looks good. I take it that it is the ground fault of the GFI outlet that is tripping. Suggest that you look for nicked wiring that could be in contact with earth and make sure that the outlet (the one with the testor) is not shorting to ground. Could also consider whether or not the GFI, which must be upstream to the power providing outlet, could be faulty.

Speaking of that outlet, you have one cable providing power to the outlet. You have two other cables spliced together with wire nuts. I assume that the outlet is on one switch and the spliced cable is on the other switch and goes to the lights.
    *** yes, the ground fault of the GFI outlet that is tripping. Don't believe GFCI (yes upstream) is faulty... working fine before starting project. Your 2nd paragraph... if I understand correctly, yes this is right.

May 31, 2009, 10:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    In the pic I see two bare ground wires and the green ground from the outlet connected together, where is other bare ground wire? Is it just the pic. Ground should not affect GFI tripping. Might if in contact with earth.

Edit: Never mind I see it in first pic. Not a part of this problem but you will have to ground both switches for inspector.
    *** what u mean "have to ground both switches"? I believe they already are aren't they? No fear,, the only bare ground when project is done will be one coming from orig. house outlet. I am using 12G Green wire for all other grounds (w/sheathing) and B/W w/sheathing also.

Curious, I understand checking for nicks etc. exposure to dirt/ground, however, if the two switches work separately w/o issue and tester confirms this, how can a nick then effect things only when I try to turn on both switches... lights and outlet? Please advise. Thx. Once again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grounding an outdoor outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, and happy new year by the way ! I am new here and electricity is not my domain ! I am however very careful when playing with it ( turning power off always :-) and always worried about having it done the right and safe way. here is my problem. Located in the USA. I wanted to installed a...

'Strange' (to me) outdoor GFI outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have outdoor halogens controlled by a transformer, which is then plugged into an outdoor receptacle that must be a GFI, but without an apparent reset. It has two small (1/4" diameter each) round dials that are green and red. They look like they are supposed to be turned and not pushed in to...

Switched oulet is hot all the time, switch not controlling the outlet [ 5 Answers ]

Switched outlet stopped working, outlet is hot all the time, no matter whether switch is on or off. Replaced the switch and receptacle , still the switc is not controlling the outlet.

Outdoor electrical outlet keeps tripping gfci outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Until just recently my christmas decorations would light up when we plugged them into the outdoor electrical outlet. Now when we plug it in the gfci outlet in the garage keeps getting tripped and the lights won't come on. Even when we reset the gfci, once we plug in the chord it gets tripped...

Outdoor outlet blown [ 1 Answers ]

Last week we had a steady rain, it caused my outdoor xmas lights to shut off. The lights work in any other outlet in and out of the house but not in the one intended to. I have reset all the breakers in the main box and there is no GFI that I can find associated with the one outdoor outlet I want...

View more questions Search