Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skostro Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2009, 07:50 PM
    Painted iron chair
    I have a painted iron chair that is outside, located on a cement patio.
    When it rains, I have rust marks on the cement where the legs contact the ground.
    Is there a solution to this problem?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 09:22 PM

Hi, skostro!

I'm sorry that no one has come along yet to address your question!

What sort of leg style does the chair have, please? Are they just simply straight and go down with four "feet" on the cement, or is it like there's a bar of some kind across the bottom of the legs?

Thanks!

Jun 3, 2009, 09:32 PM
    No bar going across the bottom.
    Just 4 legs.
    I tried spraying WD-40 on the leg bottoms, & that seemed to help a little, but some rust is still leaking out/down on the cement patio.
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 09:34 PM

Hi again, skostro!

Are there little round or square feet (pads) made of plastic or nylon on the ends of the legs?

Also, is the paint on them the way that they were purchased or did you or someone else paint them?

Thanks!

Jun 3, 2009, 09:44 PM
    "Are there little round or square feet (pads) made out of plastic or nylon on the ends of the legs?" - yes but they are/were cracked & I removed them. The paint is original.
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 09:52 PM

Are the legs round or rectangular?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 10:49 PM

Okay, I was hoping that you might still be around. Based upon the information that I have from you, what I would suggest doing is going to a large hardware store and getting rubber "feet" to stick on the ends of the legs. They might also be called foot pad products.

They come in various sizes and are basically the same thing that you see on the ends of the legs of crutches.

I would also recommend that you do some touch-up painting to seal where the paint has come off the legs that thus allowed the ends of the legs to rust.

Thanks!

Jun 4, 2009, 06:15 AM
    Thank you, I'll do both.
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2009, 06:26 PM

You're welcome and thank you!

If you can't find the covers at a hardware store, it's possible that they might be obtained from a custodial supply.

Jun 7, 2009, 06:49 PM
    I did paint the leg feet. It hasn't rained yet, so the jury is still out.
    As far as leg covers go, I have only found plastic covers(booties), at the hardware stores. I don't want to use plastic, I'm sure they will just crack in a short time.
    Custodial supply - I'll check into that option.
    Thank You
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2009, 07:58 PM

The reason that I mentioned a custodial supply store, was because custodians that move those really long tables might need to replace the rubber "feet" on them from time to time.

Thanks!

Jun 7, 2009, 08:23 PM
    Thanks again
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2009, 08:28 PM

You're welcome! A really big hardware store should have them. Probably a local one and not a big chain would be the most likely place, at least in my experience.

I got a whole bunch of those many years ago when I replaced the "feet" on a bunch of metal folding chairs that I have where the old, rubber feet had become really hard due to aging.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Painted red [ 3 Answers ]

A cube is made of a blue-coloured material, but the exterior is painted red. If now the cube is cut into 125 smaller cubes which are of exactly the same size, how many of the cubes will have 2 of their sides painted red?

Mass of iron in iron tablets redox titrations [ 1 Answers ]

what is the equation for the rection between potassium permanganate and iron oxide in the redox titration to decipher percentage by mass of iron in iron tablets and how do I get the answer from my titration ressults? Cheers

What kind of chair is this 'Lady Chair' ? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I recently inherited a chair shown in the following photos: http://forsale.surfbytes.com/chair1.jpg http://forsale.surfbytes.com/chair2.jpg http://forsale.surfbytes.com/chair3.jpg It is lacquered, with a curved wood back and seat.

Painted sofa and chair [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to go about painting a cloth sofa or chair and the result is that it looks exactly like leather. I have seen the instructions but can't remember where. Thanks for any help that you can give me. omapick

Difference between Iron palm and iron fist [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone give me some info on the difference between Iron Palm and Iron Fist training? And also just some overall wushu reference pages and stuff would be appreciated.

View more questions Search