Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mandi705 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2009, 05:51 PM
    Above Ground Pool, What Next?
    We just had a 27x52 above ground pool installed and it is currently filling up with water... What will be our next step? :confused:
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

May 31, 2009, 03:56 AM
    Ahhh... The joys of being a pool owner! And Welcome to the AMHD Forums! :)

Some questions first. :confused:

Did you purchase the pool from a dealer, and have him install it, or did you purchase it, and install it yourself?

Are you on a well or city water?

If well, Don't try to fill the pool all at one time or you could damage the well pump. Half hour on, half hour off, Patience needed here! It will also allow your water table to recuperate.
    City... I have found only a slight difference in costs when filling a pool, i.e. Fire Co. vs City.
    I have a well pump if you need one.

Are you watching/working with the liner to eliminate wrinkles?

From the sound of your question, it's too late for the pool floor, but you may still be able to help the wall.
    Wrinkles increase the wear factor, and shorten the life of the liner. If its too late, don't concern yourself with it this year, plan on it for next year.

Are you in an area of the Country where you will have to winterize the pool? More on liners/wrinkles/winterizing/plans/next year, later.
    I have a new liner, but it won't fit your size.

Do you have a testing kit, and a supply of pool chemicals?

Once the pool is filled, you and your family can jump right in... But, the pool will need tested, and chemicals applied, the same day!

You will need:
    Regular Chlorine, bromine... It depends on what style of disinfectant you want to use, there may be others... One is cheaper, the other more effective.
    Pool Shock to match the style of disinfectant you will be using.
    Ph +... To increase Ph
    Ph -... To decrease Ph
    Ph... The factor which tells you whether your water is alkaline or acidic, needed to efficiently use disinfectant.

There are other additives that can help control scum, make your water sparkle, and in crease your pool filter's efficiency.

A pool thermometer. Once you are used to temps, it will guide you on how your chemicals will work.

Do you have a pool vacuum/telescoping pole, with enough hose to reach the farthest point from your skimmer?
    To cross your pool 27'. If skimmer is in middle of pool wall, 26' to reach ends of oval. Add 10' = 37'. Because of the way hose is sold, 40' minimum.

A pool skimmer, used to skim debris floating on top or under the water. If you watch, you can get skimmer heads that will interchange with the vacuum head.

Whew!. Well that's all I can think of, off the top of my head! :eek:

I know it's a lot to chew on for now, but I learned a new rule:
    A Pool is like a Garden, If you don't check everything at least once a day, it'll take ya a couple of days to get back to enjoying it.

Jun 1, 2009, 12:03 PM
    Thank you so much for all that info...

We inheritated the pool from a friend, had the pool store they bought it from install it, of course they told us some things, and sold us all the chemicals they said we would need.

They told us we had to wait 3 days before swimming in it after it is filled and we put the chemicals in it?? :confused:

My questions are:

1. How often do you need to put chemicals in the pool?

2. Do you really have to wait 3 days before swimming in it?

3. They said something about having to backwash it 3 times and rinse it 3 times?

4. Does the pump need to constantly run 24/7?
    aldo betancourt Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2009, 12:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandi705 View Post
    We just had a 27x52 above ground pool installed and it is currently filling up with water...What will be our next step? :confused:
    When it is full,you must put in the chemicals and run the system for at least 24 hours and then check the PH. You need a PH of 7.5 roughly and your chlorine has got to match your slip of paper or the color of the test kit silght yellow is about normal.

Jun 1, 2009, 08:04 PM
    Thank you so much for all that info....
    Your welcome!

We inheritated the pool from a friend, had the pool store they bought it from install it, of course they told us some things, and sold us all the chemicals they said we would need.

They told us we had to wait 3 days before swimming in it after it is filled and we put the chemicals in it???:confused:
    In reference to aldo betancourt's post, Hi aldo!; When a pool is fresh filled it is shocked first, then the Ph is checked, and adjusted after running the pump for one day.
    It usually takes the next two days for the shock to come down to a safe level, the light yellow color he mentioned.
    If you don't the high levels can irritate the body, and ruin swim clothing.

My apologies for steering you wrong there... Its just I was in such a hurry to jump in, I forgot myself. :rolleyes:

My questions are:

1. How often do you need to put chemicals in the pool?
    That depends on usage, and temperature. The same amount of usage on a cooler day won't take as much as on a warmer/hotter day

2. Do you really have to wait 3 days before swimming in it?
    Unfortunately yes. The amount of disinfectant used to shock is harmful to the human body. especially the eyes.
    There are disinfectants out there that don't take as long to stabilize, but they are a little more expensive. :(
    Oh!, and you don't have to shock every time. Only when you can't get a reading or if the pool starts to give off a odor. :eek:

3. They said something about having to backwash it 3 times and rinse it 3 times?
    That is a reference to your filter, there should be levers on it to change the flow of water to backwash the filter. Some units have ports to hook up a discharge hose to shoot the brackish water away from the pool.

4. Does the pump need to constantly run 24/7?
    For those three days; Some say yes, some will turn it off at bedtime, on the next morning,
    Off when your at work, back on when your home. You can shut it off when your swimming.
    I know, besides the cost there's a safety issue, maybe even a noise issue if you have an old screamer with a bad bearing.

When the guys installed the pool, they DID create a GFCI outlet for the pool power, didn't they? It's Code anywhere in USA. It's also good sense! ;)

My usual routine:
    Once everybody was done swimming for the day I took a reading on the water, added what chems the test called for, then left the pump run till I went to bed. Turned it back on when I got back from work. If I was just going to the store I left it on.

Try this site for more detailed information Swimming Pool Maintenance
    aldo betancourt Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2009, 04:45 AM

Mandi705, I have been building in-ground pools for well over 35 years and the info you have sounds correct but only add chemiclas as callled for by the test kit, $9.99 at home depot this is very important to keep your pool balanced and swimable. I have always told the home owner to run the pump a mim.10 hours a day but it depends on gallon quantity and the state in which you live. In Florida we run 12 on and 12 off usauly by a timer 6/6/6/6. the sunshine and the amount of usage the pool gets will also be a factor in chemical usage. One last item, if the chlorine level is normal then go swimming

Jun 2, 2009, 05:42 PM
    Thank you both so very very much for all your info!

Jun 2, 2009, 08:04 PM
    :cool: Your welcome! Relax and enjoy!

Any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Not to scare you, but just one more piece of advice...

Be very diligent in how you work with the chemicals, especially chlorine, follow the instructions to the letter!

For one it's an inhalant hazard! :( Second its very caustic :(
    Add chlorine to water, not water to chlorine, and if it mixes with any thing else...

Well... things, Like a Shed, Garage can go "BOOM" in a "HURRY". :eek:
    Even Clorox in its dilute form for washing can eat your clothes.
    Robolips76 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2012, 01:55 PM
    I have just drained my 12 x 36 above ground pool to start over! Could not clear up the cloudy water... so just going to start over!
    Can you please tell me what to do first and so on to get it back to the sparkling clear water I use to have?
    Before draining it I tried everything to clear it up... no solutions worked...
    aggravated Robolips 76

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leveling the ground with mulch for above ground pool [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if I could use mulch to level the ground for my above ground pool. I was told not to use sand, and I have a hard time digging.

Water behind a pool liner of an above ground pool [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, the liner in part of my pool is below the water level and thus water is now behind the liner. I cannot pick up the liner because it is so heavy with the weight of the water. 1. Is this hurting my pool 2. How much to replace a new liner and have it installed for a 16ft round pool ...

Leveling ground for an above ground pool [ 2 Answers ]

I spoke to a pool company and they said that when installing an above ground pool you should "dish" the ground in the middle. This meaning that you make the ground in the middle of the pool 3 to 12 inches deeper than the rest of the ground. Everyone else that I have spoken to has said to level the...

Above ground pool in ground [ 5 Answers ]

Can I put an above ground pool in a hole with about one foot of it sticking up? What do I do about water splashing out and washing away the back fill? What do I do about pluming and elec. Thanks

Install New Pool Liner-Above Ground Pool [ 1 Answers ]

We are going to install a new liner in an above ground pool this weekend. I have read conflicting information as to when the skimmer and jet holes should be cut. Do you fill the pool with water within a foot of the skimmer, attach the trim kit and then cut out the liner? I don't know what to do,...

View more questions Search