Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mark Nelson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2009, 01:21 PM
    Feta Cheese
    Why is it that feta cheese is often sold in liquid? Is it wrong to pour the liquid out? What exactly is the liquid?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 30, 2009, 01:27 PM
    The !Water" is brine as is used to stop the cheese drying out.

More information here: Feta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 31, 2009, 11:40 AM

You can keep fetta wrapped in very tight plastic to make it last longer but it is always best to keep it in the brine...

I used to work in a dellicatessan and we had fetta displayed in open top tubs with the brine filled only half way so it looked "pretty"
    Every 15 minutes we had to rotate the fetta and turn it upside down.

Brine is basically a salty water, it adds a slightly different flavor to the cheese and works better than plain water for keeping in the moisture.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2009, 05:28 PM
    Wow, I've never seen feta (here) in brine and I shop for cheeses a lot. :)
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2009, 05:29 PM
    Don't throw the brine out. The cheese is much better if kept in it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad cheese [ 1 Answers ]

Hiya I was at my friends house and she had some baby bel cheeses (small individual edam cheese wrapped in wax and comes in a pack of around 5 good for snacks) I asked if I could have one and she said go on. This was around 4-5 hours ago. The heese piece tasted really rather strange, different from...

Feta Cheese [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was just wondering... I have read soooooo mant articles saying to stay away from unpastrized feta cheese. I know to stay way from those but I've been eating greek salads that has pastrized feta all the time. I even put extra feta.. lol. Is it safe to eat it? Like my baby is fine so far that I...

Freezing cheese [ 2 Answers ]

I'm new to the kitchen and in an effort to save money I bought some bulk cheese (5lb. Bag of mozzerella & provolone) to make my own homemade pizza with. I made 2- 12" pizza's and hardly dented the bag. I'm worried if I just keep in refrigerator it will mold... any suggestions

Cheese food [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have a recipie for a cheese food spread like Wispread that I can make from scratch using cheddar cheese?

View more questions Search