Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lissadl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2009, 01:16 PM
    Determining Last Child Support Payment When Child is 18 and Graduate High School
    My step-son is 18 and will graduate high school on 6/18. We have him full time.
    My husband's ex pays $1,204 per month (payable half on the 1st and half on the 15th via wage garnishment.)

It is my position that she has to pay the entire month's worth ($1204) because his graduation is after 15th. She is saying that because he graduates on 6/18, she only has to pay 18 days of the month.

Who's right?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

May 30, 2009, 01:47 PM

Tell her to give him the difference as a graduation present.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 30, 2009, 01:50 PM

What does the child support agreement state? If support is paid by garnishment, then what does the agency that issued the garnishment say. Her job will have to continue deductions until they receive an order from the agency or the court to stop it.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2009, 02:18 PM

His ex is correct (I'm assuming you are in California because you sound like it).

Child support ends as a matter of law (meaning you do NOT have to modify the support order, although a modification of the wage assignment is necessary to stop it) when the child graduates from high school if he is 18. So, if the graduation is mid-month, support would be prorated up to the date of graduation. If the wage assignment pays the second half of a full month's support on the 15th, your husband will owe a prorated portion back to his ex (the portion covering 6/18 - 6/30).

Sorry, that's just the way it works.
    zachsmom49 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2009, 09:38 PM

If the child goes to college full time does hs dad have to pay for his support? He turned 18 today and the garnishment ended.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2009, 08:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zachsmom49 View Post
    If the child goes to college full time does hs dad have to pay for his support? He turned 18 today and the garnishment ended.
    If your support order is from California, no. There is no such thing as college-level support in California. That simply does not exist.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Continued child support when child quits school [ 9 Answers ]

I live in New York & this is my question... Does one have to continue paying support when the child quits school at 17? His mother will not enforce any rules on the child & will not make the child work or at least get his GED. Mother & father were never married, court ordered support payments,...

Child support payment [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying this to see if if I can get any answers before calling my child support agency in the county of Wisconsin where my case resides. Mostly because I feel they are not cooperative and seemingly one sided. I can't afford my monthly payments right now, not that I don't want to pay and...

Child support payment [ 9 Answers ]

I have been paying child support for 3 children for 17 years two boys 17 and one girl 13 I have fallen behind by one month on my child support due to lack of funds now I lost my job 3 years ago and still paid my child support for those three years doing odd jobs. Now I do not owe the state any back...

Canadian Law: child support when child is not in school [ 3 Answers ]

If child completes university and is 23 years of age If she decides to take off one year and then goes back to school is she still eligible to receive child support

Non Payment of Child Support [ 1 Answers ]

My ex has not paid his court ordered child support in a year. I have a writ of Execution from the court, but have no idea where he banks. When in the state of California can I have him arrested for non payment, it has run into the thousands.

View more questions Search