Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MustangMadness Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2009, 03:49 PM
    Sorry it's been so long since I made this post, but I gave up on the AC for awhile and when it got really hot last month, I decided I'd better give it another shot. I replaced the fan motor yet again (fourth year in a row as indicated in my earlier post) which was bad and had water in the motor. I also replaced the Capacitor and the fuses. When we tried to it started again, it kept popping fuses. A review of the wiring diagram revealed that there were two wires transposed (a white and a black) which must have been wired wrong by the last guy I called out to help fix it. Once the wires were connect correctly, the AC worked beautifully and it has been going now for about two weeks! It's been really hot around here too. Today, I just finished building a roof over the outside condenser unit to prevent too much rain/water from getting into the fan motor. The condenser unit was placed by the builders right under the eve of the house and the gutters had been removed long again, causing an excessive amount of water to drop directly into the fan motor. I'm hoping that all of these repairs help to keep me from having to replace the fan motor on a yearly basis. Thanks everyone for your help! (By the way... I made sure there was more than 2 feet of clearance between the top of my condenser unit and the roof I built, which is what I was told to do by a local AC wholesale guy I had been working with.) Thanks again!

Aug 6, 2009, 03:49 PM
    It feels good to have AC again!
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 6, 2009, 03:56 PM

Thank you for the update, we appreciate it. Please let us know how things are working next year.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2009, 07:47 PM
    Glad you are cool and happy,, although it would seem to me a easier and cheaper to have just replaced the gutter if knowwhere else just over the condenser unit

Goodluck

Aug 7, 2009, 07:47 AM
    Actually... I had all the supplies to build the roof anyway and since I just got laid off my job, didn't really have the money to buy the gutters right now. Eventually, I will put in the rain gutter, but hopefully the problem is solved now, for the short term. Thanks again!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2009, 08:16 AM

I was going to suggest to check whether a drip leg was added to the wires entering the fan. This is just a loop that allows water to drip off the wire rather than following the wire into the fan. It's an important little detail.

You;ll see them on you cable TV, your weatherhead for electrical and your telephone. The wiring always maks a dip towards the ground first. Water cannot travel uphill.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Engine cranks long time before starting [ 2 Answers ]

hello I just been and got in my car not used it since this morning it cranks but it took time to start engine cranks then k=like before eventually fires. I have read the stater motor stuff will try that in bit see what I find thank you

Starting A First Time New Cleaning Service [ 2 Answers ]

I WAS WONDERING HOW DO YOU GET STARTED A CLEANING BUSINESS IF ANYONE KNOWS? THIS IS THE FIRST TIME DOING IT AND I WANTED TO KNOW HOW TO CHARGE FOR SQ. FT. AND HOW MUCH EVERYTHING IS GOING TO COST. I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT IT. I JUST WANT TO START A BUSINESS AND I WOULD THINK THIS IS THE BEST THING...

Weathermaker 8000 not starting all the time [ 2 Answers ]

My Carrier Weather Maker 8000 58WAV090-GC will run for several hours and then decide not to start anymore. Turning the thermostat on/off sometimes gets it going but turning the main power on/off always gets it going for 2-4 hours more. I've checked the sensors and the all seem to be working. I've...

Having a hard time starting a relationship [ 4 Answers ]

I am 17 and guy, and this is hard to say so if it comes out weird or messed up my bad, I can't get into a relationship, I have girls that like me I am just to scared inside to do any thing, the reason I am asking this now is because I was at a party last night and this girl was all over me, and I...

View more questions Search