Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandstorm1964 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2009, 12:32 PM
    Maytag dryer
    We have an older model maytag dryer performa. The belt came of and there is a spring on the bottom. Looks like the spring came of. How do we fix it
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2009, 12:51 PM

Electric or Gas? What model number?

Maytag Manuals and Literature Search

This is general information. If I had the model number, I might be able to be more specific.

On the Maytag, you normally remove the front of the machine. Every Maytag that I've seen has two bolts at the front bottom. Remove the bolts and the front will come off. The top has to be removed next. The drum will have to be removed, but that sounds a lot harder than it really is. Replacing the belt is a matter of looping it around the drum, replacing the drum and routing the belt through the idler assembly. You'll have to look and see where the tensioner is and how it's mounted.

While the drum and the belt are out, check the wheels and rollers. Clean the wheels and oil the bearings. Make sure the belt isn't twisted or you'll have to take it apart again. Check whatever the drum slides on to make sure it's in good shape. Replace everything in the reverse order.

I just found a web site with instructions and pictures for tearing down a Maytag. It's not the best, but there is some information.

How to tear down the Maytag Dryer

Allso, here's a diagram of how to route the belt:

Maytag dryer belt routing

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag gas dryer [ 1 Answers ]

When a gasdryer is not being used, do they steam and get wet inside of dryer, maybe winter or summer.

Maytag Dryer putting out a black substance inside my dryer [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know why my Maytag Gas dryer is putting out a black substance in my dryer that is also along the vent area as well. When I clean out the lint container it's full of black?

Maytag Dryer [ 2 Answers ]

How does one get the tub out of Maytag Dryer model number PYE4557AYW? The belt broke our ours but we can't figure out how to get the tub out. Thanks for the help Swan

Maytag Dryer [ 2 Answers ]

My New Maytag dryer runs but does not heat Is there a way to convert it to 240vd

Maytag Gas Dryer [ 1 Answers ]

What is the usual reason why a 1996 Maytag gas dryer doesn't heat properly. It seems to finally start getting warmer near the end of a long long cycle on Regualr heat, timed drying (or any of the other cycle choices)

View more questions Search