Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    altec12 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2009, 02:23 AM
    Bug identification
    Could you help me identify this bug?

There were 2-3 in the common area of my dorm one morning (I suppose they were attracted to the light), so we closed the windows at night. More of them kept appearing and after squatting a good number of them yesterday they seem to have come back (breeding very rapidly I guess).

They're quite small, wingspan is probably 5-7 mm.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 30, 2009, 02:58 AM
    They are commonly called "drain flies" because of their habit of laying eggs in the organic buildup inside drainpipes. You need to report these to maintenance as they are indicative of a sanitation drainage problem. They do not pose a hazard to humans or animals other than as an indicator of decayed organic material which can be a source of other organisms.
    altec12 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2009, 03:39 AM
    Thanks for the answer.

We recently had a problem with a moldy build up in the cupboard under the sink which got fixed, the flies appeared shortly after that.. I just checked the cupboard and it's full with adult speciments.

The caretaker will be back Tuesday, any idea how we can manage the pests until then?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 30, 2009, 11:26 AM
    Just about any flying insect spray should take care of them, or you can kill them with ammonia window cleaner, but you have to hit them with the liquid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Painting Identification [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to identify the painting I'm sending as an attachement. I gess that is an oil by a french painter of the beginning of the 20th century who may have bee close to the Nabis or more probably to the Fauves, but I'm not sure. Thanks in advance Rebalthus

Toy Identification [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out the name of a toy/bike I had in the early 70's. It was a round shape thing you sat in (low to the ground) and it had two big wheels on either side and you turned handles attached to the wheel to go frontwards, backwards or to spin in circles. Does anyone remember the name...

Identification of Ant [ 1 Answers ]

The Australian ant was purplish-blue, about one inch long and had light blue wings almost as long as its thorax and abdomen. What was it?

PC Identification [ 8 Answers ]

Is it possible to hide or change identity of my hardware from Internet? Thanks

Identification [ 5 Answers ]

Here is a picture of a pump installation of some sort in my basement. The basement is 1/2 underground. There is a pump inside that seems to be stuck running. It has been running consistently for several hours. The house (and I assume) the pump is about 16 years old. Does this appear to be a...

View more questions Search