Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babygiraffe123 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2006, 05:52 AM
    Taking antibiotics with juice
    I went to the doctor on Monday and discovered I have a urinary tract infection. So, the doctor put me on antibiotics, and she told me to take 3 pills on my first dose, then two, and one on the final pill, which I've been doing. My only question is, can I take these with something other than water, like juice or something? Or will that affect the medication? I don't like taking the pills with water. It sickens me.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 5, 2006, 05:57 AM
    It all depends on the specific antibiotic. Some are not to be taken with juice. How about a soda or something?

However, a lot of water will help clear up the infection. Too little water and you are looking at more UTIs.
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Oct 5, 2006, 11:13 AM
    Agree with J 9 - some medicines react unpredictably with various foods we eat and liquids we drink. For instance, milk and some dairy products can reduce the effectiveness of certain antibiotics. Grapefruit juice in combination with some drugs can result in liver damage. Alcohol and caffeine can cause problems when mixed with many medications. Water is probably your safest bet - however, I'd recommend contacting your doctor or pharmacist to find out if your particular antibiotic has any possible interactions with the beverage of your choice...
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 5, 2006, 11:16 AM
    Either that or contact your pharmacy to see if you can get your antibiotic in liquid form.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Limu juice [ 2 Answers ]

I am the ultimate skeptic. Like many of you, I have been burned by money making "opportunities," which did not make us any money.:mad: Over the years, we have become older and wiser--and more cautious. Our family has just begun a major detox; i.e. cleansing our bodies of impurities. Although...

Lemon Juice [ 10 Answers ]

Hey. I heard somewhere that lemon juice can act as a skin bleaching method but I'm not sure if its good for your skin. Should it be mixed with something before hand or what?? :confused:

Juice fasting [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. My question regards juice fasting. I did a 3 day juice fast three months ago, the purpose being to rest and cleanse the intestines, as I have done many times in the past. But this time I lost 15 lbs from an already slender frame(usually 145), and the weight hasn't come back. I look...

Antibiotics [ 1 Answers ]

?? Please can you tell me what the worse side affects are for metronidoze 200mg are as I'm really scared to take them but I know I have to.

Why we drink juice? [ 1 Answers ]

Please tell me: 1)Why we drink fruit juice?Why is it good for us? 2)Why we should drink juice in the morning.( for example not in the night) Please answer me completely and/or tell me where (On Internet) I can find more information. Regards

View more questions Search