Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doonie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2006, 11:50 PM
    Giving up parental right
    I live in TX and so does my ex she wants to take me off the birth certificate of HER 6 year old son not mine I just signed the certificate not knowing at the time and Im willing to let her do so what is the proper protocol for this situation:D
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2006, 05:51 AM
    Hello doonie:

I don't know about that. See a lawyer. You do know, that you're not giving up your responsibility to pay child support. You'd be giving up only the good half of the arrangement.

I don't know about you. But I love my boys...

excon
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 5, 2006, 05:54 AM
    Yes, you need a lawyer. And by the way, it is your 6 year old son too. Not just hers.

Poor kid, I can't imagine being 6 and finding out one of my parents doesn't want me anymore. Poor thing.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 5, 2006, 08:14 AM
    Excuse me, but you really have no right to react that way. Had you told us the full story initially, excon, Single and Janine would probably have reacted differently.

In any case, you may not need an attorney here. I would go to the County Clerk where the child was born and ask what is necessary to amend a birth certificate.
    doonie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2006, 09:43 AM
    You right no harm was meant I apologize
    The WB Posts: 78, Reputation: 6

Oct 5, 2006, 10:05 AM
    I'm lost. Is the child biologically yours? Does he have your last name? If so, why would you let your name be removed? Excon is right. You may still be responsible for child support until you stand in front of a judge.
    Expert

Oct 5, 2006, 10:52 AM
    Thank you Scott, I got a slightly nasty PM from this person regarding the answers to his post. I suggested that if he posted the entire truth the first time maybe his answers would have been a little more appropriate.

Apparently he just modified his post, so other people reading this for the first time may get quite confused.
    Expert

Oct 5, 2006, 04:00 PM
    Have you since found out through a paternity test that you are not the father? If this is the case I agree with ScottGem. You may need to go to your local vital records department of your state and they can guide you in the right direction.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2006, 06:24 PM
    Talk with an attorney. You'll want a signed affidavit from the ex stating that you are not the dad and that she surrenders any and all right to attempt to collect any child support from you. You, in turn, will have to relinquish all paternal rights.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat (soon to be giving birth) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a couple of questions about my pregnant cat . Well I don't exactly know when the time of her getting pregnant was, but I think she is getting really close to giving birth to her kittens. First of all I would like to know if taking their temperature is an accurate way of telling whe nthey...

Parental rights [ 11 Answers ]

I am divorced. My ex-wife has a boy friend who wants to adopt my children. They are not married. Does he have to marry her before he can adopt? Do I have any rights to visit or communicate with my children if I give permission to adopt?

Giving up parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has a adopted daughter, her real mom wants to give up parental rights to her. She is 15 yrs old now.If her real mother gives up rights then later down the road the 15 year old wants to go live with her real mom.. Would we have to pay child support to her real mom being she gave up her...

Parental alienation [ 6 Answers ]

Help... my husband has not seen his son only 3 times this year due to mother's excuses for not providing transportation to our meeting place. She lives about 1 hour away and we agreed to meet when she left the county 2 years ago. She now has every reason in the world to not meet

Giving up my dreams? [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, I originally went to college for film I wanted to direct or produce and after one year I joined the army reserve and left school to move where my new husband was stationed. Now I'm an 'army wife' and mom which is common around here but my husband is getting out soon and I would like to go...

View more questions Search