Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    delmarjeff Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2006, 10:28 PM
    Kenmore elite washer won't spin or agitate
    I have a 5 year olf Kenmore elite washer that does not spin/agitate or pump water. Took the shell off, pump off, motor off. I left the motor connected to the wiring, tried to spin/agitate, but get no motion on motor, just a buzzing noise. Seems like the motor is bad? Is there any way to test this, or maybe there is something else I should test. Seems like tranny turns OK, pump turns OK. Thanks!
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2006, 07:04 AM
    If you get abuzzing noise it could be the capicator.

Oct 7, 2006, 07:41 AM
    Excellent timing! Yes I ohmmed out the motor it seems fine, matches the repair manual. I will test the capacitor next, although I have a digital multimeter, and it's not clear to me I can test a capacitor with that? I'm guessing the capacitor is cheap anyway, I may just replace it - Is there a better (easier) way to test a capacitor?
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2006, 07:45 AM
    Yes the cap is cheap. You can visually check by, is the top blown out or distorted? Do you see oil leaking from it?
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2006, 06:17 AM
    How did you make out with your repair? Are you up and running now?

Oct 8, 2006, 08:06 AM
    Sadly, changing out the cap did not change anything. Motor just buzzes when it should be spinning or agitating or pumping. If a rotate the motor by hand while it's buzzing, it will take off and rotate like crazy. So it seems like something to do with the start windings? Maybe the second (new) motor I tried was bad also. I'm thinking about trying a third (used) motor, otherwise maybe it's the switch? I'm about to give up on this repair. Any thoughts on testing parts out would be great!
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2006, 08:15 AM
    You can wire the motor temporarily direct to 120V and check that way. More times than not if you can start motor the way you say it is the cap. Was the cap the same size mfd? Was it new or used? It would not be the switch. Has to be motor or cap. Good luck and let me know, so others reading this site can benefit as well
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2006, 08:46 AM
    With the motor out and applying direct power to it, if it starts OK then your trans. Or pump is locked. I may be wrong but I didn't think kenmore used a starting switch. They are cheap as well. If they do use one you might check that as well.

Oct 9, 2006, 06:45 AM
    Hmm... well the motor still just buzzes when it gets power. While it's buzzing, if I spin the rotor (the motor is sitting loose from the pump and trans.) it will spin fine, which says something is wrong with the starting of the motor? I've tried a second new motor with the same results. The trans. And the pump spin fine by themselves. I'm not sure what to do next, maybe a third motor?

Oct 15, 2006, 05:40 PM
    So I figured out how to wire the motor correctly and now it spins fine whe I run it on power from the wall. So it seems the problem is in the timer, from what I can tell, none of the switches turn on the Start Windings like they should. So I'm trying a new timer to see if that will fix it.

Oct 28, 2006, 06:05 PM
    Just a final update - replaced the timer, and the washer is working again. After studying the circuit diagram I was alble to prove the motor was fine, but the timer was not making the right connections - amazing - that timer seems so simple, not sure how it could break. Anyway all is better now - thanks to all the encouragement!
    somebodyHELP Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2012, 07:10 AM
    I know this thread is old.

My washer decided to be a pain in the butt. It started doing the same thing delmarjeff's washer.
    I'm getting ready to start pulling the washer a part. But my deal is... I don't have a owners manual or service manual, Or don't know where I can get the parts. Therefore I don't know where things are in this machine.

Does anybody here has a pdf copy of the service manual?

My washer is a KENMORE ELITE smart wash quietpack9 HE4t front loader.

I will appreciate any help.

THANKS IN ADVANCE...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore Elite Washer (Model#110.82873120) Spin Probs [ 5 Answers ]

I have the Kenmore Elite King Size Washer, Model#110.82873120. Last night it quit working on the "Spin" cycle. I can still hear and feel the cycle operating, but there is a "clicking" that goes on and the agitator doesn't spin, nor does it agitate during the cycle. The draining mechanism...

Whirlpool washer won't agitate or spin [ 6 Answers ]

This machine is probably about 10 years old. It is a direct drive. The washer will fill and drain but when it tries to agitate or spin I hear a grinding and clicking sound coming from the bottom of the washer. I cannot turn the agitator by hand. Would this be a problem with the motor, or...

GE Washer won't spin or drain, but does agitate [ 2 Answers ]

I think the name of my clothes washer is GE Profile, model number WPSQ3120T2WW. It and our dryer came with our townhouse when we bought it four years ago. I've washed pillows before without any trouble (normal size), but this morning I washed two pillows and two sheets and then heard a loud...

Admiral - washer will not spin, pump out or agitate. [ 4 Answers ]

I have an Admiral 2 speed washing machine that I purchased 10 years ago from Montgomery Wards, which is out of business now. The washer will not spin, pump out or agitate. When I turn the know to spin I hear a low buzzing as it try’s to spin, then a click like an overload breaker popped. After...

Whirlpool washer will not agitate but will spin and drain [ 3 Answers ]

Model# LA5530XSW2 My washer will fill up but will not agitate, you can hear a humming noise and can smell something. It will drain & spin just not agitate. Please help me how to resolve this problem. Thank you

View more questions Search