Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tralaptniap Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2009, 11:19 AM
    Blinking keyboard lights
    Mom turned on her emachine this morning and got to the password prompt on her Windows XP screen (with cursor blinking) and could not type anything in the box. Her keyboard lights were blinking (Num Lock, Caps Lock, Scroll Lock) but there was no response. It sounds like a hardware problem to me. Could it be her keyboard, or possibly her power supply? Please help... Thanks.
    bones252100 Posts: 253, Reputation: 29

May 29, 2009, 01:57 PM

With the PC off, disconnect & reconnect the keyboard. When the PC is urned on, note when the keyboard lights START blinking. If the lights blink immediately, the problem is hardware because the software has not loaded yet. If the blinking waits until the XP screen appears, then suspect a software or firmware configuration issue. The keyboard can be replaced temporarily with a borrowed keyboard. It does not have to be the same type keyboard but must have the same connector on the cable as the original keyboard. While this sounds like a bad keyboard (typically caused by a coffee spill, etc), it could be a defective system board. Trying another keyboard would answer that question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen Aid Dishwasher blinking lights [ 18 Answers ]

I currently have a Kitchen Aid Dishwasher with the rinse only cancel lights blinking with no responses from the touch panel. What I did was recycle the power, tried to put it in diagnostic and no thing happened. Need some help?

Goodman Furnace - 3 Blinking lights [ 26 Answers ]

I have a Goodman model GMNT 080 4B. The furnace start like normal but when the temperature reaches about 64 degrees I receive an error light. The fan continues to run but the burners do not. I have already tried cleaning the flame sensor but the problem continued. The error indicator light...

Nordyne heater w/3 blinking lights [ 1 Answers ]

Have a nordyne heater that will shows the red lite blinking 3 times... what is the problem and solution?

HP Officejet 7410 blinking lights [ 1 Answers ]

Our HP 7410 Officejet All-In-One keeps malfunctioning. The display screen will go blank and the "On" button, " ! " button and "Auto Answer" button will blink. Pressing "On" restarts it but this is happening several times a day. Any thoughts?

View more questions Search