Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SlyPhoenix Posts: 63, Reputation: 2

May 29, 2009, 10:20 AM
    The Haber Process
    In the important industrial process for producing ammonia (the Haber Process), the overall reaction is:

N2(g) + 3H2(g) 2NH3(g) + 24,000 calories

A yield of ammonia, NH3 of approximately 98% can be obtained at 200o C and 1000 atmospheres of pressure.

How many grams of N2 must react to form 1.7 grams of ammonia?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

May 29, 2009, 10:37 AM

First, you have to see that the ammonia will have a mass of 1.7g, and that represents 98% of the ammonia produced from a fixed amount of Nitrogen.

Find the number of moles of ammonia you have in 1.7g. (let that be x moles)

The molar ratio of nitrogen to ammonia is 1:2. So, you'd have 0.5*x to have the number of moles of nitrogen if the yield was 100%. Since x represents the 98% formed, find 100%. From this new value, multiply by 0.5 to have the number of moles of Nitrogen required. Find the mass of nitrogen corresponding to that number of moles.

Hope it helped! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

NVC process [ 6 Answers ]

I have petitioned for my wife I-130, US citizen filing for spouse. I-130 is apporved on Sept first week and forwarded to NVC. What is next step and how long it will take for interview in US Embassy in the overseas?

I-130 Process with NVC [ 9 Answers ]

I-130 (petitioned by US Citizen to spouse) was approved on first week of September 2008. When I called NVC asking status, they have not received it yet. The information officer told me usually it takes only about 4 to 6 week to get paper from CIS. I asked NVC what can I do and answer was send the...

Us tax process for nra [ 3 Answers ]

Heh Help me understanding the us tax process for NRAs Like how all types of visa holders are liable to pay the tax in US Regards Siri

Process [ 1 Answers ]

How do I start the process of applying

View more questions Search