Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FutureCSI Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2009, 10:14 AM
    Categorical imperactive and hypothetical imperactive
    I am doing a research on this philosophical terms.

-How is a categorical imperactive different from a hypothetical imperactive?

-How do categorical imperactive get their authority?

-And what does Kant mean in saying that all rational beings are "legistators" of universal law?

Thank you all very much :p
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Jun 3, 2009, 08:50 PM
    A hypothetical imperative is a directive to an end. For example. If you want good health then you should exercise. Such an action would seem prudent, but there are other ways to achieve good health.
    A categorical imperative enjoins actions without qualification. It sets out a rule which,if followed, ensures a person is behaving in a moral fashion. Kant set out a number of categorical imperatives the most important being:

'Act only on that maxim whereby you can at the same time will that it should be an universal law'.
    FutureCSI Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2010, 08:11 AM

Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hypothetical: Pray or kill? [ 19 Answers ]

A person is pinned under a truck which is on fire and slowly roasting him to death. You are the only one there and he begs you put him out of his misery. The place is isolated and no help will arrive. What would you do? Pray for him as he slowly dies in excruciating pain? Or put him out of his...

Purely hypothetical - I promise [ 9 Answers ]

I love old cars. I really do. I would love to own one. It's not going to happen ANYtime soon. But. Would it be possible to put a vintage (good condition) body and frame over a modern engine and all of that stuff? Or I guess more accurately, could you put a modern engine into an old car?

Hypothetical Response to this statement [ 3 Answers ]

I was just wondering how you could would respond if you ever ran into your ex either in person or on the phone and they mentioned they are now in another relationship. The few ones that came to mind would be good for you, glad you found someone that can make you happy. Not sure exactly and...

Distribution of Categorical terms [ 1 Answers ]

Pleas can someone help me with the "Distribution of Categorical terms". I've read the text about it but still I can't understand the when a proposition refers to all the elements in a class and when it doesn't. Eg. 1. All S are P. Here they say that S is distributed and P is not. This one is...

View more questions Search