Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Irishdawg89 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2006, 08:16 PM
    Juveniles charges with criminal damage in second degree
    Two juveniles were charged with criminal damage in the second degree. They have already paid restitution for the damages they did and we have to go to court in couple of weeks. They have never been in trouble until this incident.
    I'm a little concerned about what will happen to them. I know the law where I live says that if a person is convicted of this crime then the punishment is no less than one year and no more than five years in prison.
    Does anyone know what could possibly happen to them? And does it matter that they have already taken care of the damage they did?
    And should I get a lawyer for them?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2006, 09:08 PM
    Hello Irish:

What can happen? Nothing good! If you were facing five years in the slam, would you hire a lawyer for yourself? I'll bet you would. The state has one. These kids should too.

Does it matter that they've already taken care of the damage? Yes. How much? I don't know. Better than NOT taking care of the damage.

excon
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2006, 05:40 PM
    First of all, the punishments you quote are for adults. If the juveniles in question are being dealt with the juvenile court system then all bets are off. The fact that they've already made restitution will definitely weigh in their favor. Hopefully it's documented. The judge will have considerable latitude in any sentence (s)he'll propose. My guess is that, for a first offense and restitution already made they'll get a short probation term and/or some community service.
    Irishdawg89 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2006, 09:26 PM
    Thanks that sort of sets my mind at ease and yes the restitution already made is well documented. I'm still going to get a lawyer for them anyway. Also the person whose property was damages is writing a letter in their favor for us to take to court. Hopefully that will help them out.
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Oct 6, 2006, 08:00 AM
    Perhaps the person who's property was damaged can be persuaded to drop the charge.

Hmm. No lawyer fees... worth a try!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child abuse charges [ 5 Answers ]

I was babysitting a one year old boy in my home for about a month. He has a 4 yr.old sister that started getting off the school bus at my house. She came on a Thursday, and then the following Friday. That Friday night, the parents called, I was not home, but returned their call. They said the boy...

Avoiding "degree mills", seeking real degree! [ 9 Answers ]

I started as an education major in the State University of NY Oswego. I made an unusual, and perhaps unwise decision to put my learning in first place, and made no efforts to get a degree. I read "Pedagogy of the Oppressed" by Ivan Illich, and got turned on to his untraditional, radical approach to...

Concerning juveniles rights [ 3 Answers ]

Are police or probation officer required to give juveniles their rights before questioning, searching or arresting them? Is there a chain of custody set up for taking a urine sample to be tested? When does it stop being a job and becomes harassment? The probation officer during every meeting...

Little help please! Criminal damage case [ 3 Answers ]

If criminal damage to property occurs to a vehicle driven by a man whose wife holds title and registration to the vehicle and someone is indicted for damaging the property of the man, even though he has no title or legal claim to the vehicle is named solely in the indictment as the property owner,...

Little help please - criminal damage to property [ 8 Answers ]

If criminal damage to property occurs to a vehicle driven by a man whose wife holds title and registration to the vehicle and someone is indicted for damaging the property of the man, even though he has no title or legal claim to the vehicle is named solely in the indictment as the property owner,...

View more questions Search