Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dom1961 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2009, 08:56 AM
    Synthetic Oil Really Worth The $ ?
    Own an '09 Accord and I'm getting real close to changing the oil for the first time. I used Mobil 1 religiously in my old vehicle (still own it.) However is it really necessary and worth the extra expense, about double the cost at least. I'm not changing it when the automatic reminder tells me too, I'll do it sooner.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 29, 2009, 09:31 AM

Absolutely. Honestly, I think people are crazy not to use full-synthetic engine, transmission, and power steering fluid. It's the single most important preventive maintenance step one can take. The differences between synthetic and conventional oil are huge!

It's also worth it to use a premium oil filter; e.g. Purolator Pure One or Mobil 1. Change full-synthetic engine oil and premium filter every 6,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.
    eddiy75ru Posts: 38, Reputation: 6

May 29, 2009, 02:25 PM
    Hope some other experienced, self-maintenance drivers reply to your question about Synthetic motor oil; we need more variety of replies. I believe all modern car engines can last to their normal life expectancy (over 200,K miles) using either synthetic or natural oils given normal, routine maintenance as recommended by the manufacturers. Today's major-brand motor oils are all very good and can fully perform up to and beyond manufacturer's recommended change intervals. Of even more importance, which some people do not fully recognize, is the oil filter quality and its useful life. Given that the original intent of synthetic oils was to perform well and be changed at 15,000 mile intervals, the problem was that oil FILTERS were (are) not made to also last that long without serious filtration deterioration. So to make cost of synthetic oil more reasonable, especially in your 2009 Honda, be sure to also follow the typical 7.500 mi oil and filter changes. Also use quality oil filter (over 96% single pass or 99% multi-pass efficiency) at every oil change. Of course this all assumes you are an average no-Jack-Rabbit driver, and not a Tuner, Slider, Off-Roader or Trailer Tow'er. And last but not least, always be aware of the mutli-BILLION Dollar Automobile Accessories Association industry that makes its handsome living through their highly Advertised oil products and myriads of other second echelon automotive supplies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Synthetic Transmission fluid questions [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 questions regarding a Toyota Corolla with 146,000 miles. 1. I've heard that a tranny flush on a high mileage vehicle can cause problems with dislodged material. Is it risky to just drop the pan (or drain if there's a plug) and top off the fluid? Does that adequately refresh the...

Mobil 1 synthetic ATF --txgreasemonkey [ 4 Answers ]

I removed some fluid from power steering unit. It is so small,only removed maybe 4oz so I wouldn't go below hose in unit. Marked how much was removed in plastic beeker,added Mobil 1 syn ATF. Do you know total amount of fluid is in my unit? 2003 toyota tacoma 4x4 6 cyl. I want to add more.so it...

When to switch to synthetic oil ? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a new honda ridgeline which I really love. I plan on running synthetic oil but when should I switch ? I've heard that you should wait until the motor is fully broken in and I've also heard to just switch. Which is correct ?

Advantages of switching to synthetic oil [ 7 Answers ]

I've got a 2000 Nissan Altima with 64,000 miles, regular oil changes with dinosaur oil Every 3000 or so miles since new so I'm quite sure the motor is fairly clean internally. I've read good points about full synthetic oils and in some of txgreasemonkey's answers To some posts. Wondering if it...

View more questions Search