Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ekul Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2009, 06:58 AM
    Debited instead of credited.
    After drafting the trial balance I discovered that I debited the purchase returns a/c instead of crediting it, what journal entry for the correction is needed?
    dawgsnkats Posts: 130, Reputation: 7

May 29, 2009, 07:03 AM

Credit the account for the amount and debit the contra account for the amoun. Then enter the entry correctly. In essence, you are negating the transaction/journal entry and creating a new correct one. Be sure to write the reason below the entry to justify the correction.
    ekul Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2009, 07:27 AM
    Thanks for the answer but I'm new to bookkeeping and my course hasn't covered contra accounts yet and so I'm none the wiser. Basically I'm working through unanswered examples to aid my learning and I'm stuck on this example."R Black discovers that the monthly total of goods returned to suppliers in October, amounting to £200, has been debited to the purchase returns account. What journal entry will R Black have to make to correct the error?"
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 29, 2009, 01:09 PM

You've probably had contra acconts and either never saw the term, or forgot it. It's easy to sort of pass by without realizing it's an important concept. Especially when so many books and instructors teach that Drawing/Dividend is a debit without ever once explaining WHY. (Or perhaps they use another term in the UK.)

A contra account is a negative account. It's the opposite balance of what is normal for that type of account and it always offsets the balance of another account. For instance, assets are debit accounts. A contra asset would be a credit balance.

Accumulated depreciation is a contra asset. You've likely had that by now, but if not, that's the account where you're continually adding up how much you've depreciated some fixed asset like equipment. The equipment would be a debit and the accumulated depreciation would be a credit. Debits and credits go against each other. So the debit of the equipment would be reduced by the credit of the accumulated depreciation to create its book value. (Shown on the balance sheet.)

Generally we use contra accounts when we want to reduce some balance, but we don't want to reduce it directly in the account. So we use a second account with the opposite balance and that offsets our balance.

Purchases is an expense account and a debit. Purchases returned are going to reduce the amount of purchases. However, if you want to keep track of how much you have returned during a period, you would not credit it directly out of Purchases - you would instead credit the Purchases Returns account. That way you're keeping it separated. But in the end (on the income statement), that credit balance is going to go against the debit balance in Purchases and reduce the net purchases. Purchases Returns is a contra expense account.

The issue I'm having with correcting it is that all entries have to have at least two accounts. If you have 200 pounds as a debit, you'd have to credit that 200 out of there, which would get rid of it, and then credit another 200 to give it a credit balance. i.e. a total of 400. However, there isn't enough information given to know what account to debit in that entry.

You may have other information given in the problem that tells you where. When you got the returned goods, you would have either gotten return cash, or credit on your invoice. That is, the original entry would have been either Cash or Accounts Payable. You need to know which in order to know what to debit for the correction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If supplies expense is a debit? What account gets credited? [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a problem with understanding what account gets credited if the supplies expense is a debit. In the problem, there is a supplies expense of 0, but after adjustments the supplies expense is 3300. There is no supplies payable account; only accounts payable, interest payable, rent...

How are deposited checks handled in the general ledger .debited or credited? [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Sir, I have a question regarding the general recording of checks in the general ledger. What are some rules of thumb when dealing with deposited checks?. Are they debited or credited. I'm sorry the question is rather v ague but if you can answer by way of some examples I'd appreciate it. ...

Is time credited? (N.J.) [ 3 Answers ]

O.K.- so I'm about to possibly be returned to custody for a violation of probation and I'm being paranoid. I am on probation for a disorderly persons offense for which I served 78 days. I copped to the agreement 'time served upon date of sentencing & 1 yr. of probation'. The max for this is 6...

Cancelled Transaction Never Credited [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Ontario, Canada. I just realized that on my November, 2004 credit card statement they double charged me for an item. I have a receipt attached to the statement showing both a purchase and a cancelled transaction for $299.00 on the same day from the same store. However, as far as I...

View more questions Search