Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    supre Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2009, 10:45 PM
    Electrical Engineer with a felony?
    I'm 25 years old and was convicted 3 yrs ago of: Theft by Unlawful Taking, Criminal Mischief and Criminal Trespassing; these were all felony's. I am now going to PSU for Electrical Engineering and was wondering if anyone had a clue if I was going to be able to find a job, or am I going to be working as a dishwasher for the rest of my life. I live in Pennsylvania and was told to apply for clemency, but then I was told by someone that PA is very reluctant to give clemency. Insight needed.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 29, 2009, 05:34 AM

Hello s:

I don't think you'd be precluded from the profession. Maybe some jobs, but tha't going to be true no matter which direction you go.

I don't know what clemency is. If it's a pardon, I think you need to wait longer. If it's expungment, you're still going to need to wait while.

If there IS such a thing as clemency, I'd apply. Of course they're reluctant to give it... That's why you need a very good lawyer.

excon
    rainacidbeer Posts: 92, Reputation: 6

May 29, 2009, 01:05 PM

It's going to be hard to get an expungment with 3 felonies. Places are looking for Electrical Engineer,it's just going to be hardier but not impossible for you to get a job.You might have to take a lower starting pay or work for a small company to get experience. The longer you put between the conviction the better.
    ANB428 Posts: 450, Reputation: 42

May 29, 2009, 01:18 PM

If you are going to try to get a job as an electrical engineer you will probably have to obtain a security clearance and I doubt that you will be able to obtain one with three felonies.

There are many engineers that are trying to find jobs right now as well and a lot of them have a clean record, so that is who your competition will be.

I am not saying that you WON'T be able to get a job as an electrical engineer, but all of the software and electrical engineers that I work with have to have a security clearance in order to work with our company.

Good luck and I hope that everything works out for you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 29, 2009, 06:17 PM

You will never get a security clearance to work on any job or any company that does work for the federal government.

You can expect to end up with some company that pays maybe 1/2 of what the job is worth, in bad working conditions and more.

You could perhaps start your own company

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Felony probation felony violation-what will happen? [ 15 Answers ]

I have a godson whose mother is a convicted felon for forgery/writing checks, and is on felony probation, she was recently arrested, they had a bench warrant out for her arrest. She went to court, plead guilty, and went to court this morning to see what the charges were, they consisted of: usage of...

Is a Court Martial a Felony or Misdemeanor or Felony [ 6 Answers ]

Is a Court Martial a Felony or Misdemeanor or Felony. I see many questions on this topic... please post my input. A summary Court Martial is not a felony conviction period! There is nothing in the military to equate a Court Martial to a felony or misdemeanor conviction. The federal courts look...

How to get a license as marine engineer for third engineer in U.S.A. Or U.K [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am a student in South Korea and I also have Third engineer license for working on a merchant ship in Korea. But I want get a license in U.S.A or U.K. So could you tell me what I have to do for this. I want work in a U.S.A company or U.K one having a license which I will get a...

Marine engineer license for a second engineer [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sir or madom What is the Prossure in uptaining an second marine engineer license ,

Mechanical & Electrical Engineer [ 1 Answers ]

I have a assignment but don't know where to find the info. Anybody know please tell me, TQ! For each of the above professions, find out the following: (*the professions I have choose is 'Mechanical & Electrical Engineer') 1. A brief history, background and development of the profession in...

View more questions Search