Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KatieN Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2009, 10:27 PM
    West Highland Terriers
    I'm thinking about getting a West Highland Terrier pup and would like to hear from someone who has this breed of dog. How are they with older children. Do they get along well with other pets? Are they cuddly lap dogs? Would you recommend this breed for a family pet?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 29, 2009, 03:51 AM

Westies can be a little stand-offish, as are most terriers.

Your best bet would be to talk to the breeder you are thinking about purchasing one off about their temperaments and although they should be generally the same, they can vary from breeder to breeder.
    laBen Posts: 9, Reputation: 4

May 31, 2009, 04:42 PM

We had a westie and I can honestly say he was the best dog ever, however having worked with dogs I know that westies temperments can vary a lot, but I put that down to upbringing. (like how bordercollies can either be very obident or very naughty depending on the training you give) I will say you usually find people who own westies never go back! :D They are different to most small dogs in the sense that that are very hardy and independent, but come 8pm and telly time, they are the first to snuggle into you. :) I would really recommend having a westie, but only if your willing to spend the time teaching him the right ways.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

As far as the east is from the west. [ 1 Answers ]

We had a visiting pastor preach tonight's sermon at church. It was a wonderful message that I greatly enjoyed. I wish I could share the whole thing with you, but there is one thing in particular that I found so enlightening tonight that I wanted to share with you all. It's nothing much, just one...

Yorkies terriers [ 1 Answers ]

Well my nana is wanting to bye two yokies, a male and a female will it be hard to breed and train them to go outside?:)

Potty Training a 1 year old Scottich Terriers [ 2 Answers ]

Please help me with Benjamins peepee habbits... I leave the door open, yet he will peepee everywhere IN the house. I was told not to shout or hit the dog, but I am losing it with him. Benjamin was giving to me... I think the people just did not want him,and did not love him, how do I let him know...

Yorkshire Terriers [ 2 Answers ]

I have a yorkshire terrier and I was wondering she is three yrs. And in heat not registered but still want to register her but in the mean time she gets hooked up with a non-registered yorkie and ends up having pups can she still be bred with registered yorkies or what damage does it do? Do you...

Boston Terriers [ 1 Answers ]

I hate to give an answer that may not be much help, but I must tell you how glad I am that you are giving a rescue dog a second chance. I hope you are working with a good rescue that will be sure to make a successful placement. Maybe your rescue would be the best place to find out about a good...

View more questions Search