Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    123hat456 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2009, 03:45 PM
    Joining Computer to Domain
    Hello,

Afraid (but also hoping) a solution will be painfully obvious, but here goes...
    Have a Win 2003 Server where motherboard fried. Replaced with identical
    Motherboard... has onboard WLAN connections (2) only one used. Connected
    Network cable and fired up. Problem is... cannot connect to network/domain.
    Can ping self (localhost) but cannot ping any other computer on network, it
    Times out. When pinging IP address of another computer on network, it
    Recognizes qualified name of other computer but still times out.
    Have tried deleting computer account in Active Directory on Server and recreating.
    Tried leaving domain, joining "workgroup" and cannot come back to domain. "Cannot connect to a domain controller". Any push in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.

Hattie
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

May 29, 2009, 02:03 PM

Your IP configuration is incorrect. Make sure that the IP address of the server is the same as it used to be and that your internal DNS information is also correct. Without DNS, your server can not see the Domain entries required to know who the domain controller is. The AD Infrastructure information is also saved into the AD integrated DNS information.

May 30, 2009, 10:43 AM
    Chuck,

Thanks for answering. Funny thing is, absolutely nothing has been touched in IP settings on client computer or server, nor have any settings been touched in AD or DNS on server. The only thing that was touched was the motherboard on the client computer was swapped for identical.
    Aley Rizvi Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2009, 05:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 123hat456 View Post
    Chuck,

Thanks for answering. Funny thing is, absolutely nothing has been touched in IP settings on client computer or server, nor have any settings been touched in AD or DNS on server. The only thing that was touched was the motherboard on the client computer was swapped for identical.
    Hi,

I did not diagnosed the actual problem yet but still try the following :

1. Is there any firewall? Turn it off.
    2. Is your computer has Wlan card and wired lan card? If so, disable your WLAN and try to connect it with wire. Connecting with both can create routing problem.

Also please provide the output of the following commands :

1. ipconfig /ALL
    2. route PRINT
    3. arp -a
    4. tracert <Your domain controller>

Did u re-install the windows?
    Can u provide the network diagram? How your server 2003 and AD servers are connected to? Switches, routers etc...

Thanks.

Jun 1, 2009, 06:17 AM
    Aley,

Thank you for your answer. Problem has been solved this weekend. We still cannot figure out why, unless the onboard WLAN of the new motherboard was faulty. What we did was to disable the onboard WLAN and install a basic ethernet PCI adapter. Problem solved! The trickiest part was finding an x64 driver for the adapter as we are running Win 2003 Server x64.

Thanks to all who wrote and viewed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need to find a list of usernames on our domain using the computer anme within dos [ 1 Answers ]

I can remember using a dos command that returned the logged on user at the time when I have entered the computer name - however I have searched the net and can't find the correct command. Please help:)

Joining the FBI [ 2 Answers ]

I have a bachelors degree in Physics, I have been in the army for two years doing counterintelligence and I am curious how difficult would it be to make a transition to joining the FBI. I have a clearance and have had no major criminal problems.

Error in joining a new domain [ 2 Answers ]

This is kashif here I want to ask a question When I join a new domain the following error occurred Network path not found While ping is successful in contacting new domain Is there anyone to help me out

Accessing computer on domain [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot access one of my domain member. The error message is " Network Path Was Not Found".

View more questions Search