Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amyowen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2006, 02:13 PM
    formula problem
    Hi everyone, I've just started my business studies degree and an getting to grips with using excel properly.

I've uploaded the spreadsheet I'm working on. I'm trying to work out the discount values in column E. If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it, I'm hoping it's just my syntax that's wrong but I have no idea.

To work out the discount you apply the following;

IF VALUE IS LESS THAN £100 THEN NO DISCOUNT IS GIVEN
    IF VALUE IS £100 OR ABOVE, BUT LESS THAN £200 THEN 33.333% DISCOUNT IS GIVEN
    IF VALUE IS £200 OR ABOVE THEN 55.555% DISCOUNT IS GIVEN.

Cheers guys/girls

Amy (newbie)
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: zip SS14.zip (2.2 KB, 63 views)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2006, 03:27 AM
    I see that you have a value error in those fields. I've pointed this out since it was not evident in your post - and clarified the problem in the subject line. We've got a couple good Excel folks here who may pipe in shortly.
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Oct 5, 2006, 07:19 AM
    Try this when entering these sort of formulae I find it easier to read/understand if you start with the greatest and work down. See attached ss14a.zip
    Attached Files
  3. File Type: zip SS14a.zip (2.3 KB, 62 views)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 5, 2006, 08:06 AM
    Assuming that the percentage is the actual amount discounted and the value you are discounting is in Cell A2 then in Cell B2 you would put:

=IF(A2<100,0,IF(A2>=200,A2*.55555,A2*.33333))

You can then copy that formula down the B column as far as you have values in A.

However, I would do it slightly differently. Rather than hard code the discounts, I would put then in cells somewhere else in your spreadsheet. Lets say AA1 and AB1. I would then change the formula to:

=IF(A2<100,0,IF(A2>=200,A2*$AA$1,A2*$AB$1))

In that way you could change the discount rates by just changing the values in those cells and wouldn't have to change the formula.

One point I forgot to explain, the reason I sues the $ in the cell addresses for the discounts was because of Absolute vs Relative addressing. The $ indicates that the address is absolute so the formula always looks at the same cell no matter where you copy it to. With relative addresses, the address changes relative to the cell you copy it to.
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Oct 5, 2006, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    However, I would do it slightly differently. Rather than hard code the discounts, I would put then in cells somewhere else in your spreadsheet. Lets say AA1 and AB1. i would then change the formula to:
    Good call on that.
    amyowen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2006, 03:52 AM
    Thanks for your help, everyone.

I had an exam on spreadsheets and passed :D

Much appreciated

Amy
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 30, 2006, 06:38 AM
    Thanks for letting us know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Excel [ 2 Answers ]

:rolleyes: I try to use excel to print an invoice, how can I put an invoice number that will auto upadate the next time I use the file?

Excel help [ 1 Answers ]

I am using excel to record some data and I have it setup to do some math based on the info that I put into certain cells. Now what I am wondering is am I able to setup the sheet so that it will prompt me for the 4 pieces of data that I want to enter and then place those in the proper cells and then...

Question about MS Excel [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I want to copy & transpose the content of one spreadsheet to another without cell reference changing. It seems that I just cannot use Paste Link and Transpose at the same time. What should I do? Thanks in advance, Wei

Hyperlink in Excel [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Ask me, Could you please tell me how to create a hyperlink In Excel so that it opens a specific word in a Word Document? Thanks, Cris

Excel gridlines [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get gridlines to print when I am creating a prototype, so some cells have no data in them. I wish to fill them in later by pen. I know how to get the gridlines to print with data in the cells, but they will not print without any data in the cells. Thanks, dg

View more questions Search