Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    old cottage Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2009, 12:13 PM
    Should I change out my cooper pipes for pvc?
    I own an old cottage, probably 40 years old or more. The pipes are not insulated, they were drained for the winter months, but we did not make it through the rough NH winter. I have many leaks in my pipes at the elbows. I am replacing the elbows, and resealing, but was told by others that I might want to switch to PVC because it does not expand and contract in the cold. Is this true? I have well water, does that hurt cooper pipes? Pvc pipes? HELP!
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2009, 12:35 PM

PVC will freeze just like the copper did, and it will also split or break the fittings. The only one that I know that will give you a little protection against freezing and splitting is PEX because it will expand somewhat without splitting. But the fittings are still rigid and they will cause trouble in freezing weather.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 28, 2009, 06:43 PM

I agree, PVC will freeze and crack too as will CPVC. PEX not only will flex a hair it is way easier to use when repiping an existing home. It is flexible enough that you can thread it between rafters and up into blind wall cavities with obstructions. Your old pipe blew not because of the harsh NH winter, they blew because they needed to be blown out not just drained or shut off.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2009, 07:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    I agree, PVC will freeze and crack too as will CPVC. PEX not only will flex a hair it is way easier to use when repiping an existing home. It is flexible enough that you can thread it between rafters and up into blind wall cavities with obstructions. Your old pipe blew not because of the harsh NH winter, they blew because they needed to be blown out not just drained or shut off.
    If freezing is a consideration, I would use PEX, which will expand up to 8 times its original diameter when frozen and then return to its original form when thawed.

If possible, I would pull home runs to each fixture (thus eliminating the need for locating fittings in uninsulated spaces) from a centrally located manifold that is positioned in a well insulated location.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cooper Pipe Valve Stuck [ 2 Answers ]

I have a cooper pipe valve that's stuck, it's one that runs of off a main water line and goes to the ice maker on the fridge, it hab been closed for about 4 years and when I tried to open it the knob stripped and just spun so I couldn't open the valve, is there anything I can do to get the valve...

How to change pipes and move toilet [ 1 Answers ]

We need to move the toilet back 4 inches towards the bathroom wall. How do we cut and change the drain pipes and can we replace the drain with new plastic pipe? We have already cut around and through the subfloor and exposed about have about 2 feet around the drain. Thank you in advance.

Want to change out old pipes with PEX [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a small house with an unfinished basement that I am looking to finish with a 3/4 Bath and a Kitchenette. I really want to do this myself but have a limited amount of plumbing experience (I can sweat copper, change fixtures, etc). Since it is Galv from the junction to the house...

Galvanized, Cooper or Flexable Product [ 2 Answers ]

We have recently purchased a 14,000 sp. Ft metal bldg. for rental property. The plumbing pipes must be changed out and the city permits one of the following: Galvanized, Cooper or a Flexable product. We have received quotes from 2 plumbing companies. One using galvanized pipe ($10.000.) and the...

View more questions Search