Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2009, 10:51 AM
    Return/Cancellation Policies
    We purchased some furniture about 8 weeks ago. It has yet to be delivered and they have no timeframe on when they expect it. It was paid in full at the time of purchase.

The receipt says that all cancellations after 24 hours are refunded at 80%.

Is this legal for goods never delivered? Will Visa (who I used to pay for it) put up with that?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2009, 12:05 PM

I'd send the store a certified letter stating that if they don't have your furniture to you by a specific date, you will demand a refund in full.

If it doesn't show up, call your credit card company and dispute the charges. Explain that you never received the merchandise and want to cancel the transaction.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 28, 2009, 12:12 PM

I will agree, it is legal of course to have those policies, and you should have requried in writing from a manager any changes in policy you needed.

I would try and of course going back to the credit card company but it has to be before 4 weeks after the item shows up on your bill
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 28, 2009, 12:15 PM

You aren't cancelling, they have failed to deliver within a reasonable time frame. There's a difference. There cancellation charge is based on the buyer cancelling after they start to build. But they do have to deliver within a reasonable time frame.

So, I would send them a letter stating that since they have no delivered to purchased item within a reasonable amount of time, you are considering that they have breached your contract and are requesting that your credit card company reverse the charges.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 28, 2009, 02:42 PM

I would question the "within a reasonable time" frame part of this. If this is somehow custom furniture, furniture not in stock, 8 weeks may not be unreasonable.

I would certainly send the letter cancelling the order but would also look very closely at the contract and attempt to determine what is causing the delay.

I have wait three and four months for furniture, grinding my teeth the whole time!
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2009, 03:27 PM

My fiancée called and badgered them until they gave us a cash discount... and a date.

She is SO much more diplomatic than I am. :)
    Uber Member

May 28, 2009, 03:33 PM

I have a couple of people I'd like to sic your fiancé on - I'll prepare a list of names and phone numbers and send them to you and then you can hand the list to her.

Women rule!
    Uber Member

May 28, 2009, 03:45 PM
    [QUOTE=Comments on this post
    excon agrees: They make your owee's better too.![/QUOTE]

I have a comment which will get me banned for life so let's both just smile and move on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Workplace policies [ 7 Answers ]

I'm asking advice for my daughter who is 16yrs & works for Sonic burger, she got written up Friday night for not trying hard enough to sell extra items to customers at the drive through/car hop when taking their orders, she was written up by the general manager & he not only wrote her up but told...

Filing tax return after H1B cancellation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Need some guidance on my case. I got my H1B in 2007 and worked there for sometime in 2007 and little less than 3 months in 2008. I filed my tax return for 2007. Now due to some reason I had to come back to India and hence I resigned from my job in US. My employer is cancelling my...

Government policies [ 3 Answers ]

Do government policies pose dilemmas because they almost require A) conflict between rich and poor B) the triumph of order over freedom C) Infringement of the rights of some group D) difficult choices among conflicting values

Store policies [ 1 Answers ]

Hi this is my first time so I hope things go good just a couple of days ago I tried to bring back something to the store for my boy that was just bought 24 hrs ago the owner said we could return it then 2 minutes later he said no because we cut the price tag off but who doesn't went you attend to...

View more questions Search