Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Newsbunny Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2006, 01:06 PM
    Itchy skin rash
    I seem to have what this person has, minus the spider bite: red, itchy bumps all over upper arms and legs, as well as a splotchy rash around my neckline that burns like crazy. Thoughts as to what it could be? Help... I'm scaring myself that it's shingles or something.

Newsbunny

For a few weeks now, I've been itching extremely bad all over my body. Usually my thighs worst of all. I assumed I was gaining weight and it was just because my skin was stretching(I'm noticing more stretch marks than before).
    Now all of the sudden everywhere it itches(worse than before!) As soon as I scratch I have tons of red bumps that are warm to the touch and seem to spread.
    The itching is almost unbearable now, and the red spots seem to be everywhere! I have them all over!
    I also have been brauising badly for no reason the past few months. My skin also seems to have a tiny bit of a purple tint to it.
    I also have what I think was a spider bite on my back. The doctor looked at it and gave me amoxicilin.
    Here is a photo to show what the red marks look like. I can't get into my doctor's office for at least a week.
    Thanks in advance,
    Jen
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 4, 2006, 04:59 PM
    It sounds almost like an allergic reaction to me.

Have you had chicken pox? If not, then it is not Shingles (Varecella Zoster). You must have had to have chicken pox to get shingles.

Typically shingles "attacks" around the waist only.

Have you eaten any new foods? New soaps? Laundry detergents? New cleaning products?
    Newsbunny Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2006, 09:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    It sounds almost like an allergic reaction to me.

Have you had chicken pox? If not, then it is not Shingles (Varecella Zoster). You must have had to have chicken pox to get shingles.

Have you eaten any new foods? New soaps? Laundry detergents? New cleaning products?

- I have been wondering the same two possibilities. At first I thought it was bedbugs but the bumps quickly expanded far too quickly and uncharacteristically for that to be it. I've never had any allergies till now, but I have just moved to the US from Canada and while my clothes and detergent and soaps are all the ones from home, I wonder if something in my new environment is triggering it. I just can't figure out what it would be...

... which makes me think that if it isn't allergies, it might well be shingles. (I have had chicken pox.) However, it's not the typical waist/dorsal band pattern rash; it started on the sides of my legs and upper arms but has moved more up and down the limbs than around. And aside from a smooth red burning rash on the neck that is different from the itchy bumps on my limbs, it's not really on my thorax or abdomen at all. However, the fact that it sounds like the same thing to you makes me think that is the likeliest possibility. My concern now is that I have missed the three or four day window for antivirals to be effective and am not sure what can be done...

Thanks for the prompt reply... any further insights will be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Newsbunny
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 5, 2006, 10:28 AM
    Seeing that it is located more on the limbs, I am still inclined to believe it sounds like an allergic reaction of sorts.

Have you eaten any new foods?

Have you tried benadryl for the itching?

A visit to the doc is probably in your best interest right now. You can get a steriod shot, like prednisone, to help get rid of this if it is a reaction.
    Depressed in MO Posts: 571, Reputation: 94

Oct 5, 2006, 01:48 PM
    Have you ever heard of excema (I know I did not spell that right)? Exzema?
    31pumpkin Posts: 379, Reputation: 50
    -

Oct 5, 2006, 02:36 PM
    Newsbunny -
    I agree with J9, it sounds more like an allergy than shingles. Perhaps a contact dermatitis(allergic or non-allergic) from irritants, extremes of hot & cold, high humidity or even poison ivy. Shingles is seen more in those over 50, and the rash & "clumps of vesicles" are usually painful also(b/c it comes from nerve roots)
    You may need a rx steriodal cream for relief, but you should see your Dr. to rule out shingles. The antivirals are best given in the beginning- but they help arrest it & the skin heals faster. And after that- add vit. C too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Itchy skin, then red bump like rash [ 2 Answers ]

For a few weeks now, I've been itching extremely bad all over my body. Usually my thighs worst of all. I assumed I was gaining weight and it was just because my skin was stretching(I'm noticing more stretch marks than before). Now all of the sudden everywhere it itches(worse than before!) As soon...

Itchy scalp [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have noticed that my scalp itches a lot, particularly when I stay late into the night. Any idea why this happens? Is this a known condition or will it lead to a new discovery? ;-D Thank you.

Skin rash on genitals. [ 11 Answers ]

So I have this rash on my penis and scrotum. I have only had it for a little while now. It is almost like goose-pimples, and on the scrotum the are where my hair follicles are. If squeezed the secrete a very small amount of white puss, although it is not liquidy, almost paste like. I only just...

Itchy little dog [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old male daschund who is the itchiest little critter I've ever met. He seems to have a hotspot on is neck: any slight touch sends him off thumping. I often see him dragging his neck across the rug or furniture when no one is able to pet or scratch him. It then went from there. Now,...

Skin rash [ 2 Answers ]

Hello My nephew gets this rash off and on It appears all over his body It disappears after he sleeps Sometimes his hands and lips swell Oil and salt water onlymake it worse It goes and comes in 2 days Why

View more questions Search