Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhodesbud Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2009, 05:17 AM
    Rights on foreclosure
    My home was foreclosed and before it as auctioned they changed the locks and nailed all the windows shut. Can they do that if I actually still own the house and I have never been served eviction papers? Also, I called to see how much it was auctioned for and found out that the bank that already owned, bought it... if they already own it how can they buy it again?? I am in Kentucky.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 28, 2009, 06:24 AM

First, no, until the auction you own the house and they cannot lock you out. This is an illegal eviction and you may be able to sue the bank. You should consult an attorney about this.

As for the auction, the bank can set a minimum bid for the auction. If they did not get that minimum, they can retake ownership.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2009, 06:25 AM

Im confused - if it was foreclosed upon, you don't own it any more.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2009, 06:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    First, no, until the auction you own the house and they cannot lock you out. .
    You sure about this one Scott? I know the eviction has to proceed, but once the foreclosure is process, ownership transfers to the lender and the OP no longer owned the house. The auction is just a way for the bank to unload the property that it already owns.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 28, 2009, 09:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    You sure about this one Scott? I know the eviction has to proceed, but once the foreclosure is process, ownership transfers to the lender and the OP no longer owned the house. The auction is just a way for the bank to unload the property that it already owns.
    This may depend on local law, but from what I'm aware of the owner can bring the arrears up to date right until the auction. The auction is when the property changes hands.
    ForeclosureHelp Posts: 16, Reputation: -1

Jun 8, 2009, 04:16 PM

In order for a bank to foreclose they hire attorneys to process the notice of default. Then the home must be advertised in the local newspaper before the Sheriff Sale.

When a home is left vacant the bank can go in at anytime and change the locks and board up the windows to prevent any vandalism.

Not sure if you want the home back, but you would have to check to see if there is a redemption clause in your state!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are my rights during foreclosure? [ 1 Answers ]

I moved into an apartment in a house 3 months ago. The lanalord and I agreed upon a 12 month lease. I recently discovered that the house in which I reside has been foreclosed upon and was in process since 2007 what are my rights should I continue to pay rent to the landlord?

Foreclosure rights [ 1 Answers ]

Is it leagal to sell your home before the sell date give by the mortgage lender attorney?

Tenants Rights Upon Foreclosure in VA [ 1 Answers ]

What notice is a tenant entitled to upon a mortgage foreclosure (mortgage established before the lease)? How long normally does a tenant have to vacate? I am in the state of Virginia. Doug

Eviction rights when it comes to foreclosure [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently renting a home and I have a 1 year lease... the landlord apparently hasn't been paying his morgtage and I want to know if due to the fact I have a year lease can they evict me and my daughter? Thank you

View more questions Search