Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SEAWALK Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2009, 09:54 PM
    How to install replacement vinyl windows into a concrete basement.
    We have a 1955 bungalow. We want to replace the original wooden windows in the basement with vinyl sliding windows. The basement walls are about 8" concrete. The rough opening is 36" x 24" We believe that we need to remove the old windows and frame, then put in a new frame of pressured treated wood. What thickness should the new frame be ? Do we need to build a box and then put this into the rough opening or do we attach the top pieces of wood and then the sides(the latter method seems easier). What do we use to anchor the wood to the concrete? We have been told that we can attach the vinyl window to the new frame by screwing through the side of the vinyl frame, wouldn't this crack the vinyl frame. We can't use a nailing fin because we do not want the new window to jut out from the basement wall. What gap should there be between the vinyl window and the new frame is it 1/4 or 3/8 on all sides" What about insulation between the vinyl window and the frame, I believe there is a special foam what is it called? Do we fill all of the gap? How do we finish off on the outside if the window if there is a gap?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2009, 05:20 AM

If the existing window frames are in good condition (not rotting), u can install replacement windows. This will eliminate a lot of work.

Remove existing sashes and install window. You are done.

Good luck

Chuck

May 28, 2009, 07:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    If the existing window frames are in good condition (not rotting), u can install replacement windows. This will eliminate a lot of work.

Remove existing sashes and install window. You are done.

Good luck

Chuck
    Thanks for the reply but we have to remove the existing frames, because some of the frames are rotten
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 28, 2009, 07:56 AM

You really don't need frames and you don't want them. The windows have a few places to put in hidden fasteners such as Tapcon bolts. The windows are usually installed from the inside.

1/4" should be plenty. The window manufacturer can be given rough opening dimensons and they will size from there. Tell them that it's the opening size.

Expanding foam such as Gret stuff can be used to fill large openings. The windows will need to be cauked.

Flashing is used to pretty up the outside. It might be best to hire out this part of the job because or having to rent a large brake (sheet metal bender).

May 28, 2009, 08:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    You really don't need frames and you don't want them. The windows have a few places to put in hidden fasteners such as Tapcon bolts. The windows are usually installed from the inside.

1/4" should be plenty. The window manufacturer can be given rough opening dimensons and they will size from there. Tell them that it's the opening size.

Expanding foam such as Gret stuff can be used to fill large openings. the windows will need to be cauked.

Flashing is used to pretty up the outside. It might be best to hire out this part of the job because or having to rent a large brake (sheet metal bender).
    Thank you. I will check with the manufacturers before buying to find out where to put the fasteners. The reason we thought that we needed the wooden frames was because it would be easier to attach the wooden frames to concrete and then the windows to wood rather than trying to attach the vinyl frames to concrete
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 28, 2009, 10:07 AM

Tapcon's Buildex TapconŽ Concrete Anchor

They are sold in the big box stores. You don't need the tool.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vinyl Window Replacement [ 6 Answers ]

I want to replace my aluminum frame windows with replacement vinyl. The old windows have a flange, which was nailed to the studs, then the siding was nailed on top of it. The window replacement people say they will "collapse" the frame to pull out the flange. I have seen a video, they first...

Can a Vinyl liner be fitted into a Kidney shaped Gunite Concrete [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Montreal and have a Gunite concrete kidney shaped pool - 32 x 16ft. Due to the severe winter ice the pool has to be re-painted every year and I'm not getting any younger. There are only 2 main pool contractors here, both saying the installation of a liner is not possible. I disagree,...

How to install a new drain/flange for a shower in a concrete basement floor [ 3 Answers ]

I have an unfinished basement that I am building a bathroom in. The floor in the basement is concrete, however the builder did install the PVC pipes in the cement floor so that the bathroom & plumbing is ready to be finishied. My question deals with how to install the shower draain so that it...

From vinyl to stained concrete [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know the best way to take up old vinyl and then what the steps are for staining the concrete in that area?

Vinyl reinforced concrete as underlayment [ 1 Answers ]

Would vinyl reinforced concrete be okay to use as an underlayment for carpet? :confused: I have a basement room that has an uneven floor. There is as much as a 1 1/4 inch variance within 5'. :mad: The high area runs through the middle of the room so I was planning on just leveling the half that is...

View more questions Search