Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    561packrat Posts: 80, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2009, 07:01 PM
    Add remote control to existing NAD stereo receiver?
    Unit works great, but it doesn't have remote control, does not appear to have provision for one. This wouldn't be a problem but my wife is recuperating from breaking her knee. She wasn't interested in my solution,( 10' cane pole w/crutch tip).
    I noticed in the owner's manual that there is a provision for adding a pre-amp or equalizer by removing the factory-installed jumpers and plugging the device in. Yes, it is a dinosaur, but sounds great, does anyone know if there is an add-on remote that can be plugged into the aforementioned location?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 28, 2009, 04:18 PM

Another option, maybe is have receiver next to her.

Even if you control volume, you won't be able to change channels.
    Would probable cost as much to modify existing as buying a unit remote ready?
    http://www.apogeekits.com/preamp.htm

May 29, 2009, 04:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Another option, maybe is have receiver next to her.

Even if you control volume, you won't be able to change channels.
    Would probable cost as much to modify existing as buying a unit remote ready?
    Passive Preamp with RF remote Control KIT K8022
    Strat
    The passive pre-amp thingie sounds interesting, I'll look into it further. Yeah, the easy thing would be to just get a new unit, but this quest isn't simply a pure logic exercise, there's an emotional, spiritual side to it. She has had it a long time and it sounds great, but it is similar to me putting a lot of effort into an old car , that on the rare occasion that it ran right, I was rewarded with a melodious and unique sound, even though a new econo box would be faster, safer, and more reliable. Will check out pre-amp, thanks for response,

Packrat
    Uber Member

May 29, 2009, 06:25 AM

Can it sit on a table next to her?

May 29, 2009, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Can it sit on a table next to her?
    We have a tiny house that would make it difficult to change the location of the equipment and/or the furniture. If you meant another device added to it and located next to her, probably could shoe horn it in, if it wasn't too big (+/- shoe box).
    Uber Member

May 29, 2009, 11:02 AM

No, I'm saying place receiver next to her, so instead of reaching for Remote, she can just change on receiver.
    Does she just need Remote Volume, or Tuning as well?

May 30, 2009, 05:07 AM

Just volume.
    Uber Member

May 30, 2009, 06:37 AM

Then, how about this:
    Stereophile: Placette Audio Remote Volume Control passive preamplifier

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Fan 9T remote receiver? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have surfed and surfed with no results. I have the Hampton Bay digital ceiling fan remote and it does not work anymore. I think it is the receiver that mounts at the fan. Any ideas on where to get a new one? Thanks so much for any replies...

What to use for contact cleaner for stereo receiver? [ 4 Answers ]

My home stereo speakers are sometimes fuzzy and can be fixed by twisting the speaker balance knob back and forth quickly a few times. I think the contacts need cleaning (does this sound logical?). If so, is this difficult to do? How should this be done (it doesn't seem as though it should be too...

Where does remote fan receiver go [ 1 Answers ]

Ok. Just brought a Hampton Bay Redington IV and trying to install it. Where does the box for the remote go inside of the fan?

Hooking up TV,DVD video recorder, stereo receiver, and dish [ 1 Answers ]

I have a panasonic Tv, Dish, Sony stereo receiver and now trying to add a DVD video recorder... PLEASE HELP. Directions don't seem to be to confusing and I thought I followed them...

View more questions Search