Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 12:17 PM
    10 year old friendship
    Now, this is an actual problem I am dealing with, been fighting over it inside for about a week now. Here's the story.

I had this girl in grade school, 7th grade to be exact. We became friends, we got really close in high school, best of friends. Nothing EVER happened besides a platonic relationship. We would talk all the time, through text or phone which ever. I am now 22, 10 years after we began our friendship. Well awhile ago, I got a message from her stating she no longer wants to talk to me, speak with me or anything. No reason why, but just explaining that she was done. At first, being the type of person I am, I let her walk away without any type of questioning. Now, I find myself struggling with, should I send an e-mail asking her what it was all about? I see her around now and then and it's awkward. Someone I knew for 10 years, went through a loss of a best friend, various break ups and everything is suddenly gone, without a reason. I'm curious if it's over a misunderstanding or something else.

Should I send her a polite message asking her what happened? I do actually miss her being my friend, 10 year friends don't just come easily, especially with me and trust issues
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 12:29 PM

I think you should email her. If one of my friends who I have known for half of my life just up and stopped being my friend I would want an explanation. Just a thought Rome, could it be she secretly had a thing for you?
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 12:31 PM

Nah, it came up one night during a drunk conversation but both agreed it would be way to awkward and weird. We are too much a like to date and have it ruin a friendship.

Also, she is engaged to someone too, maybe it's the thought of the one person(besides my family) who has known me the longest not being at my wedding kind of bothers me you know?
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 27, 2009, 12:33 PM

That's got to suck, but really don't push this at all, and whatever she is dealing with, let her deal with it.

It may be another 10 years before you find out what's happening, and you still may not understand it. Friends will come, and go, and have their own things they go through, and deal with, and you have to let them sometimes.

Give her your prayers, when you can't give them your time.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 12:35 PM

I totally understand that. I didn't have a wedding I got married at the court house but my friend who I have known since I was 4 was there. Does her fiancé like you? Maybe he was jealous and didn't understand the relationship you had.
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 12:36 PM

That's true, she may be going through a lot and just couldn't handle everything at once.

It is a tough decision and I'll weigh all my options, and hey maybe one time she will enlighten me on what the bloody heck happened ha ha
    salamander5 Posts: 87, Reputation: 5

May 27, 2009, 12:36 PM

Maybe she heard a bad rumor about you. But yeah, I would definitely ask for an explanation.
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 12:37 PM
    He said he didn't have a problem with me lol. He had a friend similar to how me and her were, I didn't think about it, the jealousy issue
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 12:38 PM
    I highly doubt the rumor thing, I mean she stuck by me through a lot. Rumors about me being gay(nothing wrong with being gay, but I wasn't) and then when people thought I was racist for driving a lifted truck(very weird situation ha ha) she was right by my side. Break ups(even with her sister) she still stood true
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 12:39 PM

How long has it been since she said she didn't want to talk anymore?

Do you have any idea what this is about?

Seems so odd.
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 12:41 PM

Honestly I have NO idea what it was about. I was completely caught off guard, it's been a few months. I'm the type to let people walk away if they want, but for some reason lately it's really been bugging me.

I saw her Saturday and it was really awkward, like two strangers who think they know each other.
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 12:43 PM

I think you have given enough time for a cool off period if she was upset about something.

Although things will not be the same, I think that you should make the first move and determine what you are even fighting about. Extend the conversation as just that, it was really awkward seeing you last blah blah blah and I really don't even know what happened between us. I would really like for you to attend my wedding but I am afraid you will reject an invitation if I ask.

:D
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 12:45 PM

I was thinking of something along these lines

Okay, I've been tussling with the idea of writing you a message for some time. I understand that you no longer wish to be friends, which okay, I got that. I am just curious as to why you did it. I didn't understand what the rationale behind the action was, maybe something got lost in translation to me. Normally, I wouldn't really care. But we were really good friends, friends for over 10 years in fact and it was just weird with how it came about. I am willing to discuss this further with you if you would like, if not then I will accept it, but I just had to ask why.
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 12:52 PM

I think you should send it.

Good friendships are just as valuable as good relationships.
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 12:55 PM

I sent it, I'm just curious what the reason behind it all. I just can't think of anything that it could possibly be.
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 12:58 PM

She must of caught wind of us and she is jealous. ;)
    Lonelyandbroken Posts: 118, Reputation: 15

May 27, 2009, 01:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Romefalls19 View Post
    I highly doubt the rumor thing, I mean she stuck by me through a lot. Rumors about me being gay(nothing wrong with being gay, but I wasn't) and then when people thought I was racist for driving a lifted truck(very weird situation ha ha) she was right by my side. Break ups(even with her sister) she still stood true
    So driving a lifted truck makes you a racist. O man I'm screwed then. What kind of truck how big?
    Ren6 Posts: 539, Reputation: 121

May 27, 2009, 01:55 PM
    That's so weird. My first guess would be that her fiancee' feels threatened by you... I hope she writes back!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Friendship is it over? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused:Hey recently my friend moved away to college, she lives a few hours away now so I don't get to see her that much, to top it off we've ended up kissing a few times when we were drunk its happened a lot of times over a space of about 6months, started we just hugged a lot then she stayed at...

Can a friendship come out of this? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi all. Ive posted many blogs here about me and my ex.I have to say that finally am stress free?I over my ex!! And its all thanks to this site. Just to give you a heads up on what's going on my ex still calls me every other day. I wonder why? We haven't seen each other for 3 months but there's not...

I've lost a 14 year friendship. [ 2 Answers ]

I recently made the mistake of losing my temper and providing an insight into how frustrated I was with a dear friend of mine. She got really upset with me and picked apart all the things I'd said and then in the end told me that she needed a few months to "heal". So I gave her her time. She...

Getting Over The End Of A Friendship [ 2 Answers ]

I've decided recently that one of my friendships has deteriorated to the point where it is in my best emotional interest to cut it off. I can't stop being angry at him for taking advantage of my friendship but I'm too much of a coward to tell him I never want to speak to him again. Has anyone...

Does he want more than friendship? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been friends with a guy for just over 4 months now, we met off the internet. He always texts me every week, and we usually go the movies and dinner. We get on really well together and have a lot of fun. The thing is, he's a very touchy feely guy and always has been for the time I've...

View more questions Search