Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gingerrogers77 Posts: 54, Reputation: 3

May 27, 2009, 11:02 AM
    Electrical Outlet Doesn't Work.
    Hi Guys:

Could you please advise us on how to repair/test an electrical outlet that doesn't seem to have electricity running through it?

Thanks for your time!

God Bless You All! :))
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 27, 2009, 11:07 AM

Well to test it plug something in, such as a lamp, that you know works?

Is this the only outlet that does not work?
    gingerrogers77 Posts: 54, Reputation: 3

May 28, 2009, 06:47 PM
    Yes, we have tested the others and they are just fine.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 28, 2009, 06:52 PM
    The problem could be in a device that is working. The output connections could be bad.

You need to check the other devices on this circuit.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 28, 2009, 07:18 PM

Remove the outlet. Tell us if the wires are under the screws on the side or stuck in little holes in the back.
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

May 31, 2009, 03:53 AM
    1. Plug something that you know works into the receptacle. This will verify if the receptacle is working

2. Buy a plug-in receptacle tester. They are sold at most hardware or big box stores, and cost less than $10. The tester has lights that tell you exactly what is wrong with the receptacle.

3. If everything else is working, chances are there are loose wires or a defective receptacle.

-Turn off the circuit breaker (If you are not sure which breaker, get a flashlight and turn off the main breaker.)
    - unscrew the cover plate, then carefully lift the receptacle out of the box.
    -check for loose or broken wires and damage to the receptacle.
    -If you decide to replace the receptacle, make a diagram of where all the wires go BEFORE unhooking any of them! Unhook ONLY the wires that go to the receptacle. Do not unhook any other wires in the box.
    -Replace the receptacle, carefully push it back into the box and screw it in. If you have a bare ground wire, make sure it does not touch any other wires.
    -Turn the breaker on and test the receptacle.

Also... once I figure out which circuit breaker turns something off, I write the number on the back side of the coverplate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical outlet. [ 5 Answers ]

I have a bad electrical outlet probably shorted by an electric heater. If I just replace the guts will that resolve the problem. I realize I have to be careful turning off the circuit breaker, testing and hooking wires correctly. I need advice.

Converting regular 3 prong electrical outlet to dryer outlet [ 3 Answers ]

We just bought a stacking washer and dryer and now the electrical cord on the dryer won't reach down to the existing dryer outlet. Is there any way to convert a regular 3 prong outlet that is close enough into a dryer outlet?

Electrical outlet [ 5 Answers ]

I want to fix the faulty wiring in the electrical outlets in my house. I know nothing about how things work. I would like to try to fix it if it is possible. It is an old house . The out lets work but when I use a APC surge protector bar the red button comes on which means faulty wiring . So I am...

Outdoor electrical outlet keeps tripping gfci outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Until just recently my christmas decorations would light up when we plugged them into the outdoor electrical outlet. Now when we plug it in the gfci outlet in the garage keeps getting tripped and the lights won't come on. Even when we reset the gfci, once we plug in the chord it gets tripped...

Electrical Outlet [ 2 Answers ]

My Electrical Outlet Is Not Working. I Have Checked The Breaker Box. What Could Be The Problem?

View more questions Search