Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lindalou525 Posts: 12, Reputation: -2

May 27, 2009, 09:51 AM
    Do I still have to give 30 days notice after being served a 3-day notice?
    My landlord served me with a 3-day notice which is titled "3-day notice to pay rent or lease terminates." I didn't pay the back rent in that time, so is the lease terminated? I am planning to move within a few weeks, on June 15, and have given him written notice of that, but his agent is now telling me that under NY law I have to give a full 30 days notice. Do I still have to give a full 30 days notice even though he effectively terminated the lease himself? Thank you.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 09:55 AM

You still have to give 30 days notice. Just because you didn't pay rent and he gave you a 3-day notice doesn't mean the rules change.

May 27, 2009, 09:58 AM
    I wasn't sure if I still had to give the 30 days notice because the 3-day notice he gave me states that if I fail to pay the full amount in that 3 days the "lease will be terminated and you must surrender possession of the premises to the landlord."
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 10:01 AM

Right, but you didn't do that - you stayed in the apartment. So you're still a tenant, and you still have to provide a 30-day notice.

You still have to pay the back rent and if you don't, you'll probably get sued.

May 27, 2009, 10:14 AM
    I plan to pay the entire amount of rent due. I just don't understand why I would now need to give a 30-day notice, when he in effect was the one who terminated the lease.
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 10:18 AM

The lease was not terminated. The landlord gave you the option to either a)pay the rent or b)leave. If you didn't do either, it would have been up to the landlord to then file for eviction.

So you are still legally a tenant, and still have to give 30 days notice. If you gave notice in the middle of May, you'll probably be liable for June rent as well, unless they can find someone to move in sooner.

May 27, 2009, 12:54 PM
    I thought the lease terminated because it specifically states "If you fail to tender the full payment, your lease will be terminated and you must surrender possession of the premises to the landlord."
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 01:04 PM

Well, we can keep going in circles or you can accept state law. Whether the lease was terminated or not is completely irrelevant. Hundreds of thousands of people have no written lease - they still have to give the notice as required by their state law.

May 27, 2009, 01:23 PM
    OK. Wow. I'm certainly not trying to "go around in circles" with you. He has basically demanded the return of the house, and that's what I'm doing. I'm just not sure why I would still have to give a 30-day notice, when he's already demanded that I leave. Do you have anything I can reference in regard to this, where a tenant is leaving after a 3-day notice but before an eviction?
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 01:25 PM

What part of "state law" are you not understanding? The state of New York requires a tenant to give their landlord 30 days notice.

Yes, he demanded the house - but you did not provide the house by the date he demanded. Now, he can file for eviction if he wants to. None of that changes what the state law is.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 27, 2009, 01:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lindalou525 View Post
    My landlord served me with a 3-day notice which is titled "3-day notice to pay rent or lease terminates." I didn't pay the back rent in that time, so is the lease terminated? I am planning to move within a few weeks, on June 15, and have given him written notice of that, but his agent is now telling me that under NY law I have to give a full 30 days notice. Do I still have to give a full 30 days notice even though he effectively terminated the lease himself? Thank you.

His agent is right - you need to give the landlord 30 days notice because you did not pay or vacate within the 3 days, as demanded.

I didn't read through this whole thread, quite frankly, but if this is a lease it is still in effect the landlord can demand that you pay until the end of the lease, although he does have to try to find another tenant and mitigate his damages.

The landlord did NOT terminate the lease. He tried to get you out and end the lease with a 3-day notice. You did not leave. The lease is still good.

And, yes, I'm in NY.

May 27, 2009, 01:42 PM
    Honestly, your answer was quite rude. I'm perfectly capable of understanding an intelligent answer. Perhaps I was looking for a reference to my question other than "because I said so."

Maybe another poster can help me. The landlord has given me what I understand to be a notice to move out and vacate the premises, and has then later told me that I need to provide him a 30-day notice. Is this legal?

May 27, 2009, 01:44 PM
    Thank you, JudyKayTee. I appreciate your response.
    Uber Member

May 27, 2009, 01:44 PM
    Honestly, your answer was quite rude. I'm perfectly capable of understanding an intelligent answer. Perhaps I was looking for a reference to my question other than "because I said so."

Maybe another poster can help me. The landlord has given me what I understand to be a notice to move out and vacate the premises, and has then later told me that I need to provide him a 30-day notice. Is this legal?

Rude? I'm rude? You keep asking the same basic question and won't accept the answer.

I answered you. I'm in NY. I own property. I'm a landlord. You didn't vacate in the 3 days as demanded. The lease is still in effect. You need to give 30 days notice or else you owe rent.

YES, THIS IS LEGAL.

May 27, 2009, 01:50 PM
    No, I was replying to the other poster where she asked me why I wasn't capable of understanding. THAT was the post I thought was rude, and you will note that I thanked you (JudyKayTee) for your response. Of course, that was just before you called me ridiculous. I'm sorry if you feel I'm ridiculous for asking for a reference concerning the law, or for thinking that the lease was terminated when I was served with a paper that indicates in writing that the lease has been terminated.
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 01:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    YES, THIS IS LEGAL.
    Yes, but can you PROVE it? ;)

I vote that the thread be closed. The OP has been given the legally accurate answer seven times and keeps asking for an answer. Oh, and she tries to imply that you and I are the ones with attitude problems... lovely.
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 01:51 PM
    No, I was replying to the other poster where she asked me why I wasn't capable of understanding. THAT was the post I thought was rude, and you will note that I thanked you (JudyKayTee) for your response. Of course, that was just before you called me ridiculous. I'm sorry if you feel I'm ridiculous for asking for a reference concerning the law, or for thinking that the lease was terminated when I was served with a paper that indicates in writing that the lease has been terminated.
    NY state law says you have to give 30 days notice. I told you this 5 times. Judy told you this twice. You keep saying, "But why?"

Am I rude? I don't think so... frustrated, absolutely.
    Uber Member

May 27, 2009, 01:53 PM

Read the paper again. Otherwise, time to close.

May 27, 2009, 02:00 PM
    I thought I had asked an appropriate question, and had asked appropriate follow-up questions. I understand a 30 day notice is generally required in NY state, but because the landlord had given me notice, I don't understand why I also have to give notice to him.
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 02:10 PM
    I thought I had asked an appropriate question, and had asked appropriate followup questions. I understand a 30 day notice is generally required in NY state, but because the landlord had given me notice, I don't understand why I also have to give notice to him.
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/real-e...ml#post1761085

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can a Landlord give me a 3-Day notice plus a 30 Day notice to quit all at once? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello I need to please know what is the legal procedure to an eviction notice? My fiancé and I and my 3 children use to live in Buena Park in Orange County and we still currently work in Orange County and comute Mon-Fri about 1hr and 15mins each way. When we heard from a far away causing...

What happen if I give my rommate 30 days notice and she doesn't sign it? [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: Hello there I rent a place and my landlord said if you want to get a roommate it 's your choice and you have to deal with it. So I found a roommate and I had month to month lease with her. And now after one year we don't get a long ( long story) I asked her to find another place so I...

Received a 60 day notice to vacate - do I need to give a 30 day notice? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello! The rental property is in cupertino, California. I received a 60 day notice to vacate as the new owner wants to remodel the property. As I have a house that I had bought and was also renting this unit I would like to vacate within 15 days and move all my stuff? Question - Am I...

How can I ask my roommate to give 30 days notice on a month to month lease ? [ 1 Answers ]

I am3 months into a month to month agreement with my current roommate. We were in a 6 month lease together that has expired over 3 months ago. I am currently wanting to dissolve the relationship and go into a 12 month lease with our landlord on my own. I know she is not ready to vacate, but can I...

Need to give 60 days notice, but rent is increasing in thirty days [ 3 Answers ]

I have rented the condo I am in now for over two years. After the initial lease term of one year, I went on a month-to-month basis. I am required to give 60 days notice prior to vacating the property. My landlord notified me at the end of this month (february) that the rent would be...

View more questions Search