Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    seniormoment Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2009, 07:11 AM
    Should I Lock In My HELOC?
    I am one of the many senior citizens who lost their retirement savings in the market last fall. I have a 15K draw on my HELOC and came in on a promotional 0.5% below prime. I am presently paying interest only at 2.75% (about $40 monthly). I have until this Friday to lock in a fixed rate at 4.99% to repay both interest and principal over a 15-year period (about $115 monthly). I am 62 years old, do not yet receive Social Security and only make about 25K per year. I am not facing foreclosure (yet) but still owe a lot on my home and am trying desperately to hold off selling until the market turns more in my favor. I know no-one has a crystal ball but I am very ignorant of financial matters and have no-one to advise me. Any feedback, opinions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

May 28, 2009, 10:28 AM
    As you said, I do not have a crystal ball. But I will give you my opinion.

I am relatively certain that your payment will go up even if you do nothing. Your promotional rate appears to be close to an interest only loan. I ran the numbers for your current terms through a financial calculator and the result indicates that even at 2.75% your payment should be around $101.

Your bank should be able to confirm that. And also give you an estimate of what your payment will be at today's interest rate if you do not lock in the 4.99% rate. Ask for an appointment with the loan officer and politely insist on more information and clarity.

Also, on a longer term think about the worst case scenario. What will happen in five years if interest rates go up 3 or 4 points? Would you be able to make the payment? And I fully expect interest rates will go up, the only question is when and how much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1st mortgage and HELOC can we sell? [ 2 Answers ]

We still owe on a first mortgage and we have a HELOC. Can we put our home on the market and use the proceeds to pay off the HELOC? We are pretty sure with the sale we would receive enough to cover both.

Use 401k to pay down heloc [ 3 Answers ]

We have a HELOC with a balance of 83000 at 8.25 int. rate. We are wondering if it would be a good idea to withraw 100k to pay down the HELOC. We are in 15 tax bracket. Thanks

Quit claim and heloc [ 1 Answers ]

After twenty years in the military it was discovered that my husband was stealing he is now incarcerated. Before he left he had his mother cosign for a heloc using my house as collateral. He also forged checks draining my personal bank account. The bank will not speak to me they will only...

View more questions Search